Bad tail light housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keel056

Reaction score
had my passenger side taillight replaced this week. Condensation would not go away after 2 weeks of watching it.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition. Both rear taillight assemblies retain moisture! This is not a normal situation! No other vehicle of mine has EVER had moisture unless there was a crack, or a way for moisture to enter the housing! I will remove them, use a handheld hairdryer to dry them out! Tape off the lenses and bulb openings. Then I will spray a clear ruberr compuond over the entire rear of the assembly! I will also use clear silicone caulk to run a bead around where the lens meets the housing! A $65,000.00 vehicle shoud NOT have moisture in its taillight housings! This is piss poor design by Ford with a lame Ass explaination!

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^:rolleyes: Thanks for expressing your anger towards Ford with us! Love all the "!!!" Makes me feel like I'm back in the Marines! GET SOME! Sorry to hear your taillights have moisture buildup. Truly admire your plan of attack to remedy the issue!

Joshua Cole

Reaction score
So if I take this to the dealer to have replace will the same thing happen? Is there a known defect or root cause?

6639098fcf8c4b56161d005bffc2d454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny. NEVER had an issue. Been in rain, snow, sleet. Moving out here we were in heavy, heavy rain one day and night. Never an issue. Even multiple hand washing, never an issue. I'd wonder if pressure washing, or even a car wash, might be part of the problem?

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The left one on ours was prone to moisture and even standing water inside. When removing them I noticed a green decal like seal on the top of each. The one with the issues had the seal offset from the hole. I remove the seal and fill the hole with clear silicone and resolved the issue.

Dmowry

Reaction score
The left one on ours was prone to moisture and even standing water inside. When removing them I noticed a green decal like seal on the top of each. The one with the issues had the seal offset from the hole. I remove the seal and fill the hole with clear silicone and resolved the issue.
Thanks for the info and possible fix to this. Going to look for this decal/seal.

Joshua Cole

Reaction score

Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, pictures.20201019_085451[1].jpg
Remove the cover(easier to pull out from the bottom), undo the two nuts, pull the assembly backwards, and disconnect the harness.
20201019_085631[1].png

The circled area is where the green paper seal was on mine, not completely covering the hole. I sealed the hole with clear silicone.20201019_085649[1].jpg
I drilled a hole here for drainage. Be careful not to drill through the outer lens.
Reconnect the harness and carefully position the assembly back in the tabs.

20201019_085859[1].jpg
Applying slight pressure at this point as you snug the nuts. This will seat the assembly
and cause the front edge to tuck into in close to the body.