Bad tires, or bad luck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What air pressure are you running? Are you running them soft?
45psi when I tow. That was the psi for full load on the tires I currently have. Perhaps, it would be better to drop the psi once I drop the trailer? I do drop psi in my jeep but when I have the jeep I am doing jeep stuff. Never really thought about it in the expedition because we never do more than drive some dirt roads to get to hikes and biking trail heads. I mean the trail heads have minivans and stuff. Its not like we are out on the jeep trails or anything. I mean last fall when we went to moab we were with friends in their dodge caravan.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had another small rock pierce a rear tire which led to a scary tire change on the side of the highway, trailer sunk in the mud up to the rims, passenger side of the expedition sunk almost to the rims. Had to use the stock jack, trailer jack, and firewood to get the expedition high enough to get the spare out. Barely got the spare on.

This is why I went to "E" load on my Expedition. A puncture w/ slow leak on the camper + a blowout in the middle of nowhere convinced me that the ride and handling tradeoff was worth the peace of mind. Eight tires to worry about while towing is no joke. Now I just have the four on the camper that I worry about.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is why I went to "E" load on my Expedition. A puncture w/ slow leak on the camper + a blowout in the middle of nowhere convinced me that the ride and handling tradeoff was worth the peace of mind. Eight tires to worry about while towing is no joke. Now I just have the four on the camper that I worry about.
Yeah, once I got home I was noticing that the tires on the trailer are probably about ready to be replaced. I generally replace the camper tires EARLY, I try hard to avoid a blowout on the trailer and so far early replacement has kept me good!