Ball Joints/Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04WHITEEDDIE

Reaction score
My '04 Expo with 240K miles is in need of front end ball joint replacement on the LCA's. I'm thinking to replace entire lower control arms as they come with new bushings vs. just replacing the old ball joints and reusing old bushings that are probably worn. I also plan to the replace the upper control arms too...I'm planning to drive her past 300K. Ford/Motorcraft control arms too expensive. For those of you that have gone through this , what is good alternative brand ? Moog, Mevotech, other? I'm also planning to purchase camber adjustment kit for the LCA's.... Ford kit too expensive. Any advise on alternative brand would be appreciated.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What kind of issues are you experiencing? Just curious so that I know what to watch for and what to do when the time comes. Thanks!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If you think quality parts are too expensive, check out the prices of new Expeditions. If you buy Chinese suspension parts and plan on keeping the car you WILL be replacing them again, and it will cost you more than the quality parts would have cost.

To answer your question, Moog used to be a quality line. No more. The last two years or so I've gotten some real junk from them. Mevotech, along with Power-mite, Ultra-power, Dyna-dragon, Dorman are all garbage. Some are dangerous, some just wear out in a year. You get what you pay for. You may see if ACDelco makes one; it might be the better of the lot, but don't expect to pay much less than Motorcraft.

If your time and labor is free, buy the cheapest stuff you can get. The second time you replace it will go a lot quicker, and Walmart may honor their warranty.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I might use the cheap stuff if I was sure to sell the thing in three months. The problem though isn't just durability. It's not uncommon to get them with bad threads, or misformed casting or they simply don't fit right. Like the wheel bearing that's too tight to hammer in or too lose to stay in.

Then you have the truck town apart and the crap you bought won't go in at all.

You know I learned all about this in my young and poor days, when it meant a long walk back to get another one.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As some have stated above if you plan on keeping I would recommend Motorcraft then AC Delco if Moog use their problem solver line, not the "R" line which is cheap. Moog has gone downhill a bit and not the same since they sold some years back.

mshields8

Reaction score
I used Moog ball joints 5 years ago. They came with a "lifetime" warranty. Two years later I was doing the job again. Parts where free, but the run-around I got about the warranty was a total turn-off. I will not buy Moog again.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree on moog... I ended up with mevotech.. the best ones. I tried changing the lower ball joints but that was near impossible and mushroomed them over. With the 2 different metals it didn't end well.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have 26s anyway so brand specific isnt of concern cuz they wear out in 4 yrs anyway...lol