My Stock EB Expy to Overlanding 4X4 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After dealing with a bit of an issue for over a month with the Rancho suspension, lift is complete. Rancho quick lift struts combined with a supreme suspension 2" lift kit for a total of 3" front and rear. Also took off the runner boards. Next on the list is good offroading rims and bigger tires. Anyone have any recommendations for 17" 6x135mm 8 or 9 inch wide beadlock rims? The more reasonably priced the better lol.
20210531-141409.jpg

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues you encountered but glad you persevered. Looks great so far!

Thanks! It's definitely going to be a long and slow process, mainly due to budget lol, but I'm looking forward to modding the hell out of this thing! May try to fab up some rock sliders one of these days since it would be pretty straight forward and I already have the metal tubing and all the tools I need.. Number 1 priority right now is some rock/offroad rims and bigger tires! I can probably fit 35s in there now no problem, and was planning on trimming the body anyway so the end goal is 37s!

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh man that thing looks awesome, thanks for linking it @Vancouver Bob ! Definitely looks doable. About to pull the trigger on some used rims/35" tires I found online. If it looks like I'll have enough clearance I'm definitely buying 37's! Need to look into doing a body lift, dont really know many pros/cons to it or how long it would take, but anything for more clearance would be helpful!

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OVerlandExpy what issues did you have with the Ranchos? And now that they are installed, would you recommend them? I have seen mixed reviews on them, but never been able to get feedback from someone who actually uses them offroad, as I would. I am considering them because they should bolt right in, and will provide the exact (mild) amount of lift I want, so it still fits in my garage and won't make my 33s look too small.

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Vincent Vega check out my profile, I made a post in the suspension forum detailing my issues. If you know anyone who can do a quick weld for you, and you want a mild lift that will bolt in with ease, I'd recommend them so far. But I've only put about 30 miles on it since I put them in, I still need to get an alignment. Haven't taken it off road yet but I just ordered some bead locks and am looking at some good AT tires, I'll do a write up after I take it offroading the first time. Unfortunately for 2nd gen expys we don't have many options for lifts besides Rancho or leveling kits. I went with both as you can see above and am super stoked how much lift I got out of it.

I'll definitely keep this thread updated with any issues I have and all my future mods as well :D

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just placed an order for a set of 5 Method 105 beadlocks. If anyone in norcal has some good 35 inch 17r tires hit me up! Will post pictures as soon as they arrive!

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
Following this post.
@OverlandExpy - Looks like good progress so far!
I have the 3.5" / 2.5" spacer lift on mine and have had zero issues with my 35" mud terrains on or off road.
I have dreams of lockers and 4.11 gear sets, but she gets around alright for now.
Excited to see this build progress!

Cheers!

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@MrBlargMan thanks!! Can't wait to really get working on this thing but the big thing holding me back is my budget at the moment lol. Also trying to renovate the place I just bought so I'm a bit pressed for cash right now. Bought the bead lock rims but they didn't include the hardware to actually mount the tires haha so waiting for them to send me those, then getting some decent tires, and then I'll finally be ready to test this thing out!

Rock sliders are coming soon, trying to design them in solid works now, I have all the metal I need to fabricate them, just need to find the time to make em!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni