Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@OverlandExpy have you thought about an air locker with a CO2 tank? Thats what is on my list. I would need to mount the CO2 tank (or tanks) to the truck somehow, but I haven't figured that out. But tanks could easily mount to a roll bar, which got me thinking about whether I could get a custom roll bar built. I would try to find someone down here to save me the trip, but Califabrication in Sacramento said they could do it.

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Reaction score
@OverlandExpy have you thought about an air locker with a CO2 tank? Thats what is on my list. I would need to mount the CO2 tank (or tanks) to the truck somehow, but I haven't figured that out. But tanks could easily mount to a roll bar, which got me thinking about whether I could get a custom roll bar built. I would try to find someone down here to save me the trip, but Califabrication in Sacramento said they could do it.
Yeah my neighbor actually has power tanks on his jeep, they're pretty cool but I think Detroits are the way to go for me. My expy is purely for offroad fun, the only time it will be on the pavement is driving to the trails, or hauling stuff when I need it. So I really like the always locked (except in turns) functionality of the Detroits. And they're simple, a lot less to go wrong and cheaper to purchase and install.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah my neighbor actually has power tanks on his jeep, they're pretty cool but I think Detroits are the way to go for me. My expy is purely for offroad fun, the only time it will be on the pavement is driving to the trails, or hauling stuff when I need it. So I really like the always locked (except in turns) functionality of the Detroits. And they're simple, a lot less to go wrong and cheaper to purchase and install.
Makes sense if you use it mainly for offroad, and yeah saves $ and less complicated. I am still considering a Detroit - it will go in front so will only be a factor while in 4x4 and I won't have to worry about chirping tires or clicking while onroad in 2WD. Do you know if Detroits are a PIA for snow driving - are they unpredictable when it locks/unlocks or maybe just some getting used to? Thanks

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Reaction score
Makes sense if you use it mainly for offroad, and yeah saves $ and less complicated. I am still considering a Detroit - it will go in front so will only be a factor while in 4x4 and I won't have to worry about chirping tires or clicking while onroad in 2WD. Do you know if Detroits are a PIA for snow driving - are they unpredictable when it locks/unlocks or maybe just some getting used to? Thanks
Detroits would be great in the snow! Very predictable when it will unlock. It is 100% locked all the time, except for when one wheel is spinning faster than the other, like the outside wheel will in a turn. Kind of works like a ratcheting wrench. Shouldn't take any getting used to really, just drive it like normal! The only complaints I've heard is that the tires will chirp when gunning it off the line and turning, or accelerating hard through a turn. With gas prices so high whenever I do drive my rig, I drive like a total grandma lol so I'm not too worried about that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkag