Battery Charge light on, system is charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not meaning to be a smart ass, but once your problem is diagnosed then you will know how to repair it. They may seem the same but can be caused by various issues.

Sam you can start a new thread and state the facts -
1) voltage at the battery with the engine running
2) voltage between the alternator output stud and alternator case
3) any attempted repairs (part tossing)

OP
OP
R

rray

Reaction score
Update from original Thread: Replaced alternator and Fusible link. Cleaned all Positive and Negative connections I could get to. Including the battery. Check battery voltage with and without a load, same for alternator. All numbers are normal. Battery charging fault light stays on, but the charging system is working normally. NO issues. So for now, that's how it will stay. Thank you everyone for your input. If I decided to get it fixed professionally, and find the problem I will post again.

OP
OP
R

rray

Reaction score
Trying to find a scope... The DIY shop was down at the time, but said it was being fixed. I'm headed back there next week.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Trying to find a scope... The DIY shop was down at the time, but said it was being fixed. I'm headed back there next week.
As I said above I had the exact same issue. Do a continuity test of the wiring that runs from the alt to the pcm. No scope needed. I had one of them break and cause the same issue.

Dannniels

Reaction score
Hey guys!! I am also in need of help, having a very similar issue
Still getting “check charging system” message and battery light stays ON.

Battery is good, 3 months old (12.4v with truck off)

New alternator, upgraded to 135amp (14.10v loaded)

Replaced alternator wiring harness to battery, I think it’s also called fuseable link.

Checked serpentine belt, looks good.

Checked ALL fuses and ground connections
Now I am starting to think it’s the PCM but looked into replacing it and it’s something I won’t be able to do myself since it will have to be reprogrammed. So I want to make sure I am not missing anything,
Anybody in the central Florida area who knows of a trustworthy shop who can diagnose and fix this issue??? I have nightmares when I think of somebody else working on my cars.

Dannniels

Reaction score
In your checking, don't forget your grounds and your negative cables.

So I check the ground on the fire wall close to he battery and the grounds by the starter any other ground I’m missing???
I checked the negative cable from the negative terminal of the battery any other?
Thanks trainmaster

Dannniels

Reaction score
In your checking, don't forget your grounds and your negative cables.

Now that you mention it I’ve been having some “engine noise” through my speakers which is usually caused by a bad group but I think I checked them all and didn’t see anything

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Look over all the wiring and ground straps, not just the heavy stuff. Trace everything from the battery and alternator and every plug and connector enroute. If the PCM is in line with a water leak, check their plugs. You probably have a bad connection somewhere, and since the system is working, it's most likely a thin, low amperage wire or plug pin.

Reread Mr. Stamp's posts and follow his good advice. You have to be very methodical here. I hope you reinstalled your original alternator and gave Pep Boys back their junk. You can't find a problem like this if you've installed new, suspect Chinese parts.

You may also want to secure the Ford shop manual and use their troubleshooting points.

Last edited: