Battery dead, not charging, dash flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Went out to start my '17 and it was dead. Last drove it 48 hours ago. Put my changer on it and it isn't charging. Panel indicator lights are dimly flickering as are the mirror turn signals. Even with the charger connected no lights come on inside when I open a door.

Anyone?

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Went out to start my '17 and it was dead. Last drove it 48 hours ago. Put my changer on it and it isn't charging. Panel indicator lights are dimly flickering as are the mirror turn signals. Even with the charger connected no lights come on inside when I open a door.

Anyone?

-- Chuck

You have a dead cell in the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yup. Pull a battery out of somewhere else, and see if it starts with that. Then pull a terminal and if it keeps running it's probably just the dead cell Loki mentioned.

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, will give it try after coffee this morning and see what happens. A "just happened" event with no warning.

Loki may appreciate it happened when I was alerted to Great Lakes Brewing beer now available in Midlothian and trying to hurry over. :)

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, will give it try after coffee this morning and see what happens. A "just happened" event with no warning.

Loki may appreciate it happened when I was alerted to Great Lakes Brewing beer now available in Midlothian and trying to hurry over. :)

-- Chuck

Chuck, that is definitely a worthy reason! Sorry you missed out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was worse. :) My other car would not start either having been driven only a couple of days ago. Testing that battery at present (I think it's a goner too). Had to borrow my wife's car for this mission.

The Expedition fired instantly with a different battery so a new one is there now.

Cleaned an enormous amount of crud from the Positive battery terminal but it still looks like crap. I'd like to replace all the fittings that go there. Anyone got a parts diagram and source?

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was worse. :) My other car would not start either having been driven only a couple of days ago. Testing that battery at present (I think it's a goner too). Had to borrow my wife's car for this mission.

The Expedition fired instantly with a different battery so a new one is there now.

Cleaned an enormous amount of crud from the Positive battery terminal but it still looks like crap. I'd like to replace all the fittings that go there. Anyone got a parts diagram and source?

-- Chuck

The felt pads and some dielectric grease will help immensely. I always do mine after I pick them up from the dealer. Amazing the amount of difference it will make.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many years are you guys getting out of your motorcraft factory installed batteries?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How many years are you guys getting out of your motorcraft factory installed batteries?

Typically about 37K. Haha! Batteries are designed to last to the end of the warranty and that is all...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze