Battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tilliepeople

Reaction score
I come out every morning to a dead battery .
Battery is only 6 months old and tests good .dropped in a 135 amp alternator .
Is there any fairly common things that go wrong that would drain the battery that fast ?
Thanks
Bill

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Things that will kill a good battery overnight. Headlights left on, or the rear window wiper motor not able to "park". Since you replaced the alternator. Was the old alternator bad ?

Plati

Reaction score
Things that will kill a good battery overnight. Headlights left on, or the rear window wiper motor not able to "park". Since you replaced the alternator. Was the old alternator bad ?
Yes ... many things can drain a battery overnight ... too many to list.
BUT the only one I had on my 2003 is the rear wiper through the glass bushing being crudded up so the rear wiper doesn't go to the park position. Its happened 3 times I think so right away thats the first thing I think of when my battery drains overnight.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Overnight or just doing once-a-week 1 mile grocery runs since the corona situation began?

heston gee

Reaction score
One culprit for a draining battery is the rear wiper.
Ford identified the problem as the rear wiper wanting to return to home and if it is not ot able to the battery will drain. If this is your problem, replacing the rear wiper pivot will fix it. If you dont want to replace, open the lifthate glass and the motor will return to home.
Attached is the TSB from July 2013

Didnt see previous reply on this identification.

Attachments

• tsb07-10-13.pdf
    153.2 KB · Views: 20

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score
Do your draw test as mentioned earlier in the thread. I believe the factory manual states the draw should be between 24 and 26 mah. I find it odd to have such a small differrence between the 2. And this is for a factory vehicle with no after market stuff.

Wegner44

Reaction score
Keep in mind that all 12 volt outlets remain hot while vehicle is off. I know its obvious, but something to check off the troubleshooting list.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My CD changer had a jam and kept trying eject.