Battery draw even with GEM fuse pulled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjwisinski

Reaction score
Hi all, so I have a 2000 Expedition EB with the 5.4. It’s had a battery draw since I got it. Originally I blamed it on the air suspension as it leaked and would air up when key was off on occasion. So recently converted to spring suspension. I did leave the air switch off. It has about 360mA draw when all doors are closed and GEM is active. Then once an hour goes by the draw is about 120mA. So after pulling every fuse under the hood and in the cab I found that Fuse #4 7.5A draws about 30mA which is the radio. It’s a newer pioneer head unit, not sure what to do about that draw. Then when I pull fuse #4 20A under the hood for “console power point” it draws about another 30mA. Nothing is plugged into any of the 3 12V outlets that I know about. So that leaves about 60mA of draw unaccounted for. Pulling any other fuses don’t show any change. So I am at a loss. To my knowledge max draw shouldn’t be any more than about 50-60mA. I am looking for any input on this. Thank you!

rjrodney

Reaction score
I had a problem with a diode on my alternator (technically the voltage regulator module on back of the alternator). It was enough to drain the battery after sitting a few days.

OP
OP
C

cjwisinski

Reaction score
I had a problem with a diode on my alternator (technically the voltage regulator module on back of the alternator). It was enough to drain the battery after sitting a few days.
What is the best way to check for that?

rjrodney

Reaction score
I think I used a multimeter and saw some current going into the main line of the alternator with the engine off. Or you can disconnect the alternator and check the draw at the battery post, also with the engine off of course.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have any of those USB charger plugs stuck in the cigar lighter or 12V accessory sockets??

The problem in mine was a bad rear wiper motor. It would not allow the GEM to sleep because the wiper was not parking. I pulled the fuse. Still looking for a NOS motor.