Battery in service reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
I was sort of impressed. The original factory battery in my 2016 Expy, finally passes away. It was so sad, no funeral, just let the fellow who put in the new one have the core charge for his lunch break. Soo, what is the special sequence of numbers and letters to reset the, "Battery Days In service", back to 0? There is this android app I use called, "Carbit," It has PID things nobody else has. Like tire pressure readings for each tire, and its very accurate. It also measures the %of charge the battery has, along with its temperature, which seems to be a problem, the battery gets rather warm under the hood, 110 deg + F, that is another problem I need to sort out. Any how, I am kind of nitpicky, and don't like seeing the old 1,489 days in service the old battery had. I have forscan and am still trying to figure it out, any help would be appreciated.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The special sequence is 8 hours of nothingness. A solid 8 hours of key off, doors locked & closed, no clicking of remote.

Chances are last night it reset.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
+1
Per the manual:

After battery replacement, or in some

cases after charging the battery with an

external charger, the battery management

system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep

time to relearn the battery state of charge.

During this time your vehicle must remain

fully locked with the ignition switched off.

Note: Prior to relearning the battery state

of charge, the battery management system

may temporarily disable some electrical

systems.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rodger, you don't drive it often? 3-4 yrs on a battery built in this century is a bit light....but you aren't concerned so I suppose I shouldn't raise questions?

jeff

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too am not impressed with the life at all. But the average life of a car battery now is only 4 years. Now THAT is SAD. Now compare the PRICE or them.
NOT ME! I haven't bought a battery in years.
I have friends at junk yards that trade me any one I want for any old other core.
I non busted up battery is a battery to them.

Do I sometimes get a bad one?? Sure. I just traded two last month. One perfect and a Motorcraft even, and one loses a little charge when it sits but still very usable and better than the one I had that was D-E-A-D dead.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Batteries these days often last 10 - 30k miles.

I'm not sure what the hell, maybe they got regulated into using an inferior formula or something? Like friggin ROHS solder?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have to buy new go to Rural King if you have on in your area. They are based in Indiana but are in several states.
They have two "universal" style ones with both top and side posts for 48.88 each.
You can use these on most cars out there.
Trucks have large battery trays so no problem to put a different battery in. For years Ford has used the 65 series in the trucks ans full size cars. You only have to be sure a replacement isn't too tall as the 65 is a shorter battery.

The most I have EVER paid for a battery is 85.00 at O'reilly for a superstart supreme or Extreme in 2009 for a commercial bus we had charging maintaining problems with.
That was with about 15-$20 commercial discount.
I'm not paying that much any more.
Batteries are a rip and I won't do it.
The Rural King 75 series will work the same for 48.88.

OP
OP
RogerD1959

RogerD1959

Reaction score
Rodger, you don't drive it often? 3-4 yrs on a battery built in this century is a bit light....but you aren't concerned so I suppose I shouldn't raise questions?

jeff
Jeff, it now has 68,000 miles on it. What's is sort of hilarious. I bought it in February of this year, it had 57,800 miles on it. Curious about the former owner, how it accumulated the miles, what type they were, (Highway or City), didn't take long. They never reset the infotainment system. The former owner lives 3.8 miles away from me. He had a horrible commute, Van Dyne, WI, to Chicago, IL, but had a great vehicle to make it in! He also commuted to company branches in Iowa, Minnesota, Indiana, and Ohio. Has 3 daughters all in different colleges, 1 is working her doctorate, 1 on her Master's, the youngest just started college last year. So it's safe to say most of the mileage is highway. I also have all the families cell phone numbers, addresses, same goes for his primary business colleagues. Let's see, oh, they have 2 Golden Retriever's, and a Bass Master boat. The list goes on, those were the eye opening entries. I considered dropping in for a meet and greet. Intro myself and let him know, Good old trucks are a lot like a faithful, loyal, good old dog! They never get lost, and always know the way home! Dunno, kind of wonder though. With all I know about him, his family, that I got no business knowing! I could be greeted with the business end of a 410, 12 gauge, or worse, his really livid wife, ready to end us both, cause nobody hit the data delete/reset selection on the infotainment system! Everyone here driving a Expy., with all this connectivity stuff, don't forget reset when you pass it on to the next owner! There's a life in there, I had no clue the depth of the data stored was, "That," deep and detailed. Then again, a vehicle that keeps up with the batteries age and health, why wouldn't it know everything about you, the entire time you owned it! As for my battery reset situation, it has not reset yet, so I have to be doing something wrong??? To be sure I understand the process. Vehicle turned off, parked, locked, with no interaction for 8 hours. The system is supposed to reset. What about the electrical stuff in it that never shuts off? I have considered just disconnecting the battery for 8 hours? But I saw somewhere that locks out stuff like the infotainment system, starter, fuel pump, and you need some, "Incode", # to get it up and running, to which I sit here with the, "Duh, I'm stupid and clueless," look on my face??? None of this is in the vehicle O.M., cept for very vague, don't worry, electrical system looks after itself, shutting down stuff if you forget, to protect the batteries charge state. So what cha think I should do next? Disconnect all the non standard electrical stuff, like the Iridium phone, the communications sys., little power vampires, how off and locked, must it be? Disconnecting the battery would be a lot easier than fiddling with the extra stuff in there. The extra stuff only pulls a small amount of electricity so things don't lose memory, configuration settings, lame stuff like that. It's getting like even the simplest task requires a mechanic! Thank God for this website, and those far more in sync with the Expy, than me, always learning here.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RogerD1959

RogerD1959

Reaction score
Oh my! Patience is bliss! Leaving Moby Dick, parked, locked, facing du South, over night, and most of today. I had to run to D.G., and the Chicken Strip to go Restaurant this evening to get dinner, and 20 honey mustard dipping sauces, B.T.W., mix equal parts of the honey mustard sauce and Heinz 57 for a awesome new chicken dippin sauce! If you want it to boil in your mouth, insanely hot! Squirt some Tuong Ot Sriracha sauce in there to! Thanks! The battery days in service had reset to 1 day in service, tomorrow it should read 2, and my **** retentive self can stop fretting over it!!! Move on to find a solution for cooling down the battery, 125 deg., + just don't seem right. The old one would push 165 deg.,+ on a hot day! The Auto parts fellow said that is what most likely helped to finish it off. Dunno, I found it amusing it died in my 4 year ditch it window for a standard vehicle battery. Thanks to everyone for helping me sort this out!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01