Battery Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired_chemist

Reaction score
Here is my issue. If I drive for an hour, the battery reads 12.34 volts when I stop. Shorter driving around town gives lower voltage readings. If I put my Battery Tender on the battery and charge it until it says maintaining charge, it reads 12.84 volts after disconnecting the Battery Tender for 24 hours. If I put my Shumacher charger on the battery, it shuts off after one hour at 6 amps as fully charged. If I immediately follow with the Battery Tender it says charging and takes 24+ hours to reach the maintaining charge. I think the battery is bad and can't take a high amp charge, but will accept a low 1.25 amp charge to be fully charged. What are your thoughts?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is my issue. If I drive for an hour, the battery reads 12.34 volts when I stop. Shorter driving around town gives lower voltage readings. If I put my Battery Tender on the battery and charge it until it says maintaining charge, it reads 12.84 volts after disconnecting the Battery Tender for 24 hours. If I put my Shumacher charger on the battery, it shuts off after one hour at 6 amps as fully charged. If I immediately follow with the Battery Tender it says charging and takes 24+ hours to reach the maintaining charge. I think the battery is bad and can't take a high amp charge, but will accept a low 1.25 amp charge to be fully charged. What are your thoughts?

Condition of battery terminal posts and cable connectors?

Age of battery?

Why do you charge the battery with a charger? Is the vehicle stored and not driven regularly.

Sounds like the time for a new battery.

zak99b5

Reaction score
Sounds like my battery--when I had to replace it.

12.34v is really low, especially after driving for an hour.

Do you have a load tester?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whats the voltage after sitting all night no charger? Likely old battery ready to be retired

OP
OP
R

retired_chemist

Reaction score
The battery is approaching four years old. The terminals are corrosion free. Sitting all night with no charger, the voltage drop does not exceed 0.05V, whether it starts at 12.84 V or 12.34V. I do not have a load tester.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The battery is approaching four years old. The terminals are corrosion free. Sitting all night with no charger, the voltage drop does not exceed 0.05V, whether it starts at 12.84 V or 12.34V. I do not have a load tester.
Auto parts store (Auto Zone) can check the battery and charging system for free. If all ok, do a Voltage Drop Test on battery cables.
Untill you establish you have good steady volts you are running in circles.

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My AGM battery failed on my 2018 Platinum at 3 years!. The indicators were that the FordPass app showed it going into 'sleep mode' a day after it was driven for over an hour. Locks on the door handles didn't always work. I had my Ford dealer replace the battery, and all was well.

I think that there's a ton of electric drain on these vehicles, both when they're running, and when they are at rest.

The Start/Stop, which I have learned to turn off via the button, after understanding what wear and tear it might cause on the battery, transmission, and starter...not to mention the electric pumps for maintaining cabin temperature and transmission fluid pressure under 'stop', could certainly lead to these AGM batteries failing early.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my replacement battery on rockauto after my IA on other doors stopped working. Battery was low even on tender.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My battery made it 4 years... I replaced just on the sound it made at start up and the length it took to start. (Was about to go on road trip and didn't want to be stuck) Sure enough new battery in and it started like it did when new.

I think 4 years is about all you will reliably get out of these.

kjf1

Reaction score
Is your Alternater charging, put volt meter on terminals and start vehicle.
It should read 14.2 volts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni