Battery Issues or Phantom Drain Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hellohithere

Reaction score
My 2018 has been giving me issues with starting up recently. About once a month, it will crank for about half a second and then stop. Battery voltage will read 12v or less. I figured old battery, so I installed a new Interstate battery from Costco a few days ago. New battery's voltages were reading great around 12.6V with the engine off and 14.5V with the engine running. This morning, the Expedition would not start again and the new battery is down to 10.5V. All of our drives are at least 20-30 minutes so I'm not sure what is going on. The alternator seems to be working fine since it charges the battery back to full after jumpstarting. I'm thinking something is draining the battery?

Has anyone had any issues with a slow electronic drain or similar for their Expeditions? I'm going to take it to the dealership next week but am dreading it since this is our main family car and the dealership doesn't have any loaners.

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 has been giving me issues with starting up recently. About once a month, it will crank for about half a second and then stop. Battery voltage will read 12v or less. I figured old battery, so I installed a new Interstate battery from Costco a few days ago. New battery's voltages were reading great around 12.6V with the engine off and 14.5V with the engine running. This morning, the Expedition would not start again and the new battery is down to 10.5V. All of our drives are at least 20-30 minutes so I'm not sure what is going on. The alternator seems to be working fine since it charges the battery back to full after jumpstarting. I'm thinking something is draining the battery?

Has anyone had any issues with a slow electronic drain or similar for their Expeditions? I'm going to take it to the dealership next week but am dreading it since this is our main family car and the dealership doesn't have any loaners.
I have a 2018, and I did have to replace the battery back in January. These vehicles suffer from parasitic draw caused by the electronics and the 4G Wireless Modem, which are always on. You should have your dealer check your battery and charging system. These vehicles come with and need for replacement, an AGM battery.. A regular lead-acid battery won't handle the parasitic drain, as well as the stop/start drainage. Maybe the Costco battery is not an AGM battery

OP
OP
hellohithere

hellohithere

Reaction score
Thanks @caplanm. I replaced mine with a Costco AGM battery with same group size. Could be possible I received a bad battery but I'm not sure how likely that is.

IMG_7730.jpg

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Both my Gen3 Expeditions are notorious for having dead batteries. Disappointed to know the Gen4 models share this trait. Live power points are the main culprit but even with nothing connected the battery will go dead. Two things I had to do:

1. Install Priority Start device. This connects to the battery and shuts off all power when the voltage gets to low to start the engine. Pressing the brake pedal restores power and allows starting. Of course you lose radio memory and probably some memorized driving parameters.

71zVJOxp1cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2. Manual battery switch on the battery. When even Priority Start failed me when parked at the airport for a week or two I just fitted a switch on the battery Negative pole. Open the door with the key, open hood, twist the switch, close hood, get into the truck and start the engine. PITA but works.

71hgoAOObnL._SL1500_.jpg

-- Chuck

Attachments

• contentPatternRight.png
    contentPatternRight.png
    136 bytes · Views: 4
  • contentPatternRight.png
    contentPatternRight.png
    136 bytes · Views: 5

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2. Manual battery switch on the battery. When even Priority Start failed me when parked at the airport for a week or two I just fitted a switch on the battery Negative pole. Open the door with the key, open hood, twist the switch, close hood, get into the truck and start the engine. PITA but works.

This is what I did on my Gen 2 ('04) for years. I didn't know Expeditions were notorious for dead batteries, though. I simply didn't drive it very much, and blamed the discharge on not starting it, particularly during the winter when we don't camp or go to the local Metroparks for the day.

Aside from your stereo presets, don't forget that the transmission and engine forget who you are, too, and need to relearn your driving habits each time.