Beep, Pop, No OD or lock-up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
I heard a beep from the dash, but no warning light or message. Thought it must have been my GPS warning of upcoming traffic since it was getting thick ahead. About a minute later I got a loud "pop" from under the truck (2005 Expedition, 101K miles, 4x4, 5.4L) and it dropped out of OD and the lock-up stopped working. Drove it home like that with no issues, just the higher rpm (3000 @ 50 MPH... 3.31 rear axle).

I've searched the forum here read about the OD servo retaining ring popping out and causing OD to go since the band can't be engaged, and about the solenoid failing or the band breaking. No one has mentioned also loosing lock-up on the converter though.

So am I looking at a trans rebuild or a simple fix? I tow my camper with the Expy, but this happened while I was just driving around. Towed the camper to the beach, was there six days with a bit of driving around, then this happened the evening before I was ready to go home! Drove fine except for the higher rpm. Towed camper about five miles to a storage facility then drove the Expy home, about 170 miles. Just took it slow and everything was pretty much normal.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you cave into a rebuild, drop the fluid and pan, and see if you lost a clip or something obvious. Worse case scenario, you tow to your shop, or if you can handle it, R&R it yourself with a reman. Sounds like you've done your homework, and might get lucky on this one!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
I thought about dropping the pan myself, but took it to a shop. They are going to do just that. I called a couple shops until I found one where the guy sounded like he knew these transmissions. When I told him what happened he said "sounds like the servo clip popped out or the band broke, both are common issues with that trans". Winner! Since I'm going to be towing I'm going to get a valve body upgrade (shit improver kit) while it's there. You can't feel that thing shift at all when driving now, can barely hear a change in engine rpm. I don't mind feeling it shift, and will be better towing a 7K camper.

OP
OP
F

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
Just to close this issue.... Shop said I had no 3rd or 4th (OD) gears!! I suspected as much, rpm seemed to be a bit high -- 3000 rpm @ 49 mph. Apparently a snap ring on the sprag clutch popped out. Tech says the new ring is a spiral type that is a lot stronger. Trans was built with HD clutches and a mild shift kit for towing. Seems to work fine. When I towed the first day there was a big lag (like nearly a full second) when it down-shifted from 4 to 3 the first couple times, then got a lot shorter. Probably bands or clutches getting broke in. I drove it from Columbia SC to Myrtle Beach SC the day I got it so I could pull my 6200# (dry weight) camper back home. Shop said no problem, the drive down (about 150 miles) should break it in.

Going this weekend to pull a newer camper back, 7200# dry. With passengers and new camper loaded it will be close to the max tow capacity (8600# with HD tow package, I suspect with load I'll be about 8200-8400#). Not looking forward to the hit in gas mileage, but bought the thing to tow with! I figure that an older used Class A wouldn't get but about 9-10 mpg, I'm getting 10.5-11 when towing with the Expy, and I'd need a small car to tow behind the Class A as well.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you found an honest shop that didn't just sell a whole trans. You get better mileage towing on your 05, than I get empty with my 2000 empty. Thanks for getting back to us. Should help others. What was the name and location of shop that did repair?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
Cottman Transmission of Columbia, SC. The owner of this location used to be a troubleshooter for Aamco/Cottman franchises. I don't usually go to the big franchise places, but the only real good independent shop is always backed up a couple weeks and this Cottman location had good reviews. I'm very pleased! They had a trans already rebuilt with upgrades so got me out fast. They are going to check the delay in shift, but think it's the computer adapting to the new trans and my driving, it apparently learns as you drive.