Belt sound with A/C or steering input?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since I did the timing job I get a rattling from the front whenever the A/C clutch engages or if I turn the steering wheel and the power steering pump engages. RPM doesn’t matter even if you are 1,000 RPM+. I was driving down the road at 2,000 rpm with windows down and it still does it the same......but it doesn’t seem any faster so that’s weird. It seems whenever stress is put on the serpentine belt. Any clues where to start looking. I don’t think an idler pulley would be the culprit right?

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would check the idler and tensioner pulley‘s. Did you put a new belt on after all the work or running the same one as before the work? Can you see the tensioner pulley jumping when the load is present? If so I’d say weak tensioner spring and replace that pulley/spring.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever since I did the timing job I get a rattling from the front whenever the A/C clutch engages or if I turn the steering wheel and the power steering pump engages. RPM doesn’t matter even if you are 1,000 RPM+. I was driving down the road at 2,000 rpm with windows down and it still does it the same......but it doesn’t seem any faster so that’s weird. It seems whenever stress is put on the serpentine belt. Any clues where to start looking. I don’t think an idler pulley would be the culprit right?
It will make it to 300k easily, don't worry.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check the idler and tensioner pulley‘s. Did you put a new belt on after all the work or running the same one as before the work? Can you see the tensioner pulley jumping when the load is present? If so I’d say weak tensioner spring and replace that pulley/spring.

Thanks, I did replace the belt. I will take your advice and watch the belt tensioner tomorrow when accessory load comes online. The idlers are cheap, so maybe I should just swap those given the mileage.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go away troll. Ever notice you get no likes and everyone who you troll gets a ton when they bite back? You need an attitude adjustment old man.
Attitude? Lots of people helped you on your long tensioner thread and then you trashed them for helping you plus you never thanked anyone for anything. You really need to grow up.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I did replace the belt. I will take your advice and watch the belt tensioner tomorrow when accessory load comes online. The idlers are cheap, so maybe I should just swap those given the mileage.
A new belt sometimes is a little different length because stretch, wear, or superseded part # and can be the cause why you now are noticing it. A different length from before put the tensioner it a different position that it hasn’t been in for many years and miles and could possibly cause your symptoms. A good practice probably would be to change the idlers and tensioner pulleys when installing a new belt.I just recently changed all 3 of mine on my 08 5.4 van with 125,000 miles because of a bad growling from tensioner pulley bearing. All good now.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tensioner seems ok but with the hood open I hear the light belt noise at all times and it just gets more pronounced with load. Seems like the idler pulley on the passenger side of motor might be the culprit. I think I’ll go after those and report back later on.

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also take a square, or something solid with a good long straight edge on it, and make sure all the pulleys are the same alignment, as in, none of them are sticking forward a little to much or backwards, one time i had one get a metal spur behind it, and even after tightened down it stuck out just enough the belt was riding the edge and making an unusual noise, its rare but it does happen.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far with new idler pulleys it seems the noise is gone. Great tip MasterX! Will keep that in mind for the future.