Best brake pads/rotors for a 2009

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Quasar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Quasar

Quasar Full Access Members

Hey guys,

Are there any preferred brands of brake pads/rotors for 3rd gen expeditions? 2009 specifically if there are differences that i am unaware of?

My truck has 86k, i bought it 3 months ago and whatever junk brake parts are on there currently turns the wheels/tires brown and its almost impossible to clean the wheels. Even pro grade wheel acid doesnt touch it without scrubbing.

Any and all suggestions/ideas are appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

2. nauti1

nauti1 Member

Power Stop pad and rotor kit. Rotors are drilled and slotted so you don't get the heat in them that warps them (especially the rears) and you get the ceramic pads. 10000 miles on my 2007 el and the wheels still look new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

It is up to you but I wouldn't waste my money on drilled rotors. It is just a marketing gimmick that companies promote to take your hard earned cash.

Lets just say they did offer an advantage. Are you driving the vehicle at the point that you really need what is offered?

This is fact and dependant on the pad material, the shorter stopping distance pads are usually more aggressive. Put simply - eats rotors. But you stop quicker. Nothing is free.....You want to get the pad compound that is needed for your application.

Read below and decide:

Rotors: Blank vs Cross Drilled vs Slotted and Warping | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles

When I was in the parts business Performance Friction pads had the best ROI for the trucks / school buses. If your interested in more info check the link below for the pad compound descriptions. I'm not associated with this company but I will toot their products when I can, it is money well spent on big trucks.
    Also the trucks weigh in at 80,000+ pounds, braking is really important. None of the trucks, buses I worked on had drilled or slotted rotors, all are blank. Why is that? And they have massive amounts of heat.

http://www.performancefriction.com/motorsports/compound-descriptions.aspx

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. GAIN-MOB

GAIN-MOB Supporting Member Supporting Member

I dont have brake dust...lol

5. DetroitDarin

DetroitDarin Full Access Members

Don't waste your money on anything other than OEM quality rotors. Hawk pads are awful in my experience.

Drilled/Slotted? No measurable benefit other than costing $ :)

6. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Members

Drilled/slotted is just for bling. I'd stick with blank rotors personally. Especially if you do any kind of towing. I had good experience with Hawk pads. But the pads I ran dusted really bad.

7. Mangina

Mangina Full Access Members

Blank rotors and ceramic pads if you want to reduce dust. You'll compromise a bit of braking power if you switch to ceramics though.

8. Quasar

Quasar Full Access Members

Thanks guys, the last brakes I had on my previous crown Victoria were awesome. I need to look back but it was regular rotors/ceramic pads and had next to no dust. Figured that would be best but wanted to be sure I was on the right track.

9. GAIN-MOB

GAIN-MOB Supporting Member Supporting Member

dont know if yall remember Walnuts4x4...the red expedition with 37's...great graphics on the truck...nice truck...anyway...slotted/drilled rotors/ceramic pads and he pulled a nice size boat...no probs...just for a testiment...i myself have 26s and love them and noticed the decreased stopping distance...

10. nauti1

nauti1 Member

Well I pull different size trailers and I can tell there's a significant difference in stoping between the oem brakes and a good set of performance brakes. I had power stops on my 99 expedition and I have them on my 07. Believe me, I know the importance of great brakes, I drive a 145000# 6 axle fuel truck for a living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk