Best brake pads/rotors for a 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, for my usage, light duty towing is rare, heavy towing is pretty much never. I definitely want good brake feel, but dont know how high of performance i really need to go.

Does anyone know if there are any difference between civillian brake parts and the police package expedition parts at all? Bigger rotors etc etc??

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even heavy duty, pads are the key. Good OEM-quality solid rotors will last awhile and handle heat better than slotted drilled. :)

ONE advantage of slotted or drilled might be reduced unsprung mass...but I sorta WANT my brake rotors to have mass (again, to handle heat cycling, etc). :)

All you'll need is GOOD pads and OEM quality rotors - police package or otherwise.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had good experiences with black hat Centric rotors and Hawk pads. I don't mind the dust if the braking is better. :) Better pedal feel and control from the ones that were on there.

I did get tired of the wheels sticking to the rotors (they use brine and rock salt in PA!) so the coated center section is important to me.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at a police expy today and the brakes look identical to the brakes on my truck. The pads might be better, but I'm gonna guess they're the same.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, sorry for slow response. I remember it was centric black rotors I liked on my crown Vic. Will look into some hawk ceramic pads to cut the dust down.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime. The rotors look nearly new, pads seem good yet, but the brake dust is a rusty orange mess. It is staining the wheels and discolors the tires. Can I fix that easily to buy some time?

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, that i have done. Just kinda loosing the battle. I have a torn ACL since july and i am finally anticipating surgery in the next 2-3 weeks. Then a 6-8 month recovery. Even the full service car wash cant get them clean easily after i waxed them really good. Not sure if rust is in the pads or the rotors but im gonna have to figure something out soon.

bd1980

Reaction score
Just want to chime in that I currently have Centric rotors on mine that I installed a while ago and they still feel great. I ordered the pads at the same time from rockauto and I think they are Raybesdos. My friend who owns a shop told me that's all he puts on cars anymore because people never come back complaining about them. I've been happy with them so far.

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be a bit nervous throwing ceramic pads on my Expedition. The truck weighs a lot, and my past experiences with ceramics seem to indicate a reduction in stopping power. I just installed ceramics on my wifes RDX, and even though it's half the weight, it's quite noticable.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kinda have noticed that in other vehicles i have had. What would be a good option to stop the severe dusting i get now but keep good braking power?