Best case scenario for DTC P0741

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
de46a07597c91d790147ba8184daf056.jpg

09 Expedition King Ranch (not EL), 3rd owner. Truck came from Southwest Texas. 133,158 miles the day I bought it and at the time of servicing. I live in Southeast Louisiana.

1st owner drove it to 122,000 miles then traded it in. 2nd owner bought it in 2015 and put an entire 11,000 miles on it while living in a retirement community, then passed away and willed it to his brother, who I then bought it from.

Bought about 5 weeks ago. Same day I bought it, brought it to shop for a tune up. Had the throttle body cleaned, spark plugs changed, radiator flushed, transmission serviced(changed out all the fluid, did not flush, they used the ford transmission service kit).

Green wrench light came on maybe 4-5 different, and random times:

**Mainly after driving 30-45 min, and on cruise control 65mph on the interstate.

**Has also come on another time while driving in town at regular speeds after driving that same amount of time.

**Has also come on after driving on the interstate, then stopping in front of a mall to drop my daughter off.

I have had the code checked 3 different times. 2 times when the light was on, it pulled the same code. 1 time with no light, it pulled no code.

I have asl run a vehicle history report while no light, and normal report. With the light, have it checked out report.

Wrench goes away when you turn off the truck.

Bringing it to transmission shop on Wednesday. Runs fine. Don’t want to feel like I’m looking for a problem, but trying to prevent one & hoping for the best case scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well...... the transmission control module may be located inside the transmission like the 2007's. If the module is bad it will be in the neighborhood of a grand. Hopefully it is just the solenoid that failed.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well...... the transmission control module may be located inside the transmission like the 2007's. If the module is bad it will be in the neighborhood of a grand. Hopefully it is just the solenoid that failed.
Thank you so much for replying. I just would like to think I bought a good vehicle. I’d like it to last for years to come.

I’ve never driven an SUV until now, and my 3 year old son loves it, too. He calls it his monster truck bec he sits so high up.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I call mine the green giant! Estate green Eddie Bauer with a 2 inch lift. Big chrome 20's. The fact that I am a little large myself, and my 5800 lb street sled running through San Fran, always gets people to look. Even Police look all the time, thank goodness I look like a motorcycle cop! Helps sometime , just nod at them, with the what's up look!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Improper fluid level can give you this code intermittently. What hack changed the fluid? The level has to be checked and adjusted when the transmission is at operating temperature and the less schooled automotive service donkeys often don't know this and fail to fill the transmission to the proper level.

Another simple possibility is that the plug is loose, corroded or damaged and that just plugs into the outside of the transmission case.

Otherwise the pan would have to be removed from the transmission and the solenoid and its wiring checked. Either the wiring harness outside or inside the transmission could be bad or the solenoid might be bad. If either has to be replaced, it shouldn't cost much if the shop's honest. A good shop can check the wiring.

The transmission doesn't have to come out, just perhaps the pan removed.

Here in New York, virtually every shop will try to sell you a rebuilt transmission. Pass on any such diagnosis and find another shop. Avoid the franchise shops; many only sell rebuilt transmissions and have no idea how they work or how to make repairs.

Jennifer, you have a good car that will keep you and your little guy safe for many years to come...

- Eddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the best case, the plug is loose, corroded or damaged and that just plugs into the outside of the transmission case.

Otherwise the pan would have to be removed from the transmission and the solenoid and its wiring checked. Either the wiring harness outside or inside the transmission is bad or the solenoid is bad. If either has to be replaced, it shouldn't cost much if the shop's honest. A good shop can check the wiring.

The transmission doesn't have to come out, just perhaps the pan removed.

Here in New York, virtually every shop will try to sell you a rebuilt transmission. Pass on any such diagnosis and find another shop. Avoid the franchise shops; many only sell rebuilt transmissions and have no idea how they work or how to make repairs.
I believe the shop I’m bringing it to is an honest one. It’s a local transmission shop here where I live in Louisiana.

Does this just happen over time?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the shop I’m bringing it to is an honest one. It’s a local transmission shop here where I live in Louisiana.

Does this just happen over time?

Things do fail as a function of time. A failed solenoid as indicated by the DTC is well within the realm of possibility for the age and mileage on your truck. I think most of us car veterans are suspicious of repairs based on a single symptom (in your case, a code with no apparent performance issue). I think we would prefer a physical change in the trucks behavior and then use the DTC to confirm our own experience-based diagnosis.

How many of these are you experiencing? I realize you just bought the truck and may not have a history to compare these with, but....oh well.

What are the symptoms of the P0741 code?
  • Check Engine Light is on
  • Increase of fuel consumption
  • Symptoms that resemble those of a misfiring condition
  • Car may stall out after driving at high speeds
  • Car is unable to shift into high gear while at high speeds
  • It is rare, but sometimes there are no symptoms present

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Things do fail as a function of time. A failed solenoid as indicated by the DTC is well within the realm of possibility for the age and mileage on your truck. I think most of us car veterans are suspicious of repairs based on a single symptom (in your case, a code with no apparent performance issue). I think we would prefer a physical change in the trucks behavior and then use the DTC to confirm our own experience-based diagnosis.

How many of these are you experiencing? I realize you just bought the truck and may not have a history to compare these with, but....oh well.

What are the symptoms of the P0741 code?
  • Check Engine Light is on
  • Increase of fuel consumption
  • Symptoms that resemble those of a misfiring condition
  • Car may stall out after driving at high speeds
  • Car is unable to shift into high gear while at high speeds
  • It is rare, but sometimes there are no symptoms present
Maybe a decrease in fuel consumption? I feel like when I have taken off, a time or two, the RPMs sped up faster than the gas? No stalling, nothing else.

Should I should just leave this alone or let them check it out in case?

The light has not come on in about a week.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Why do things break? Ask it when you find out what's wrong. If the outside wiring's messed up it could have been hit with something, or the plug could have leaked water and corroded. If the inside wiring's bad it could have been a manufacturing defect or been messed with when the pan was removed.

Things wear out, they break. Sort of like we do -- some of us sooner than others.

And there are a thousand more parts on that car just waiting to break. Some will, and some never will.

-Eddie

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If the shop's honest, ask them to check it out. Ask them to check the fluid level too. If you tell them it hasn't given you trouble in several weeks, they'll probably check the fluid and look over the external wiring and plug for a few bucks if anything.

I doubt anyone would tear the thing apart on the basis of an intermittent problem that hasn't surfaced in awhile. You can relax.

-Eddie