Best case scenario for DTC P0741

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Texas....it's not a hurricane flood truck is it???

I know these things are a bit harder to drown than your average econobox, but still.... once water gets in electronics can become intermittent haywire

PS if you don't plan to play with programming, just get a Bluetooth ELM327 knockoff.

Panlong is a solid brand, costs like 12 bucks on Amazon mine's been good to me for a couple years now, I always leave it plugged in.

Cheaper than wasting time and gas to autozone, and also those guys sometimes screw up and read weird shit.... elm327 has no problem with Ford codes and reads true

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They did use Mercon LV.

I did also bring it back to the same shop 500 miles later bec I did feel some kind of misfire after taking off (a handful of times) between 1250-1600 RPMs that had not happened prior to the transmission being serviced. (The green wrench appeared right after the 1st time I brought it to them...the very next day as I was driving on the interstate, in the pouring down rain, on top the spillway. But, idk if the light had ever appeared to the prior owner, or if it was just time for it to appear). Who knows.

At this time, they sucked the fluid back out and added a friction modifier, then refilled it with Mercon LV. It has not had that misfire feeling since.

09d9a4fdd8f1cd093ee33cb975b91758.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not like they'd admit it if they screwed up.

By what they did, it sure SOUNDS like they screwed up and used the wrong kind....

Probably Merc V

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Install a jumper between the negative battery cable you just removed and the positive battery terminal. MAKE SURE THE NEGATIVE CABLE AND THE JUMPER DO NOT TOUCH GROUND!!! The jumper will ensure all the capacitors in the system will discharge, and this clears all the parameters in the engine and tranny control systems.

Wait about 15 mins, remove the jumper and re-install the negative cable, then perform the system calibration procedure. Do you know what that is?

Hey do you know if that can reset an oil change interval countdown? My button broke and that flashing nonsense is annoying

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Texas....it's not a hurricane flood truck is it???

I know these things are a bit harder to drown than your average econobox, but still.... once water gets in electronics can become intermittent haywire

PS if you don't plan to play with programming, just get a Bluetooth ELM327 knockoff.

Panlong is a solid brand, costs like 12 bucks on Amazon mine's been good to me for a couple years now, I always leave it plugged in.

Cheaper than wasting time and gas to autozone, and also those guys sometimes screw up and read weird shit.... elm327 has no problem with Ford codes and reads true
It came from Southwest Texas, real close to to the rio grande. I don’t think that’s where the hurricane was.

Jen

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. How do you do that?

Jen

If you have any trip computer features its in there somewhere, otherwise some combo of long and short presses on the button by the odometer (which was already on its last legs and finally died on me)

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you are Catholics in here, but in case you are (or not, and really need a little more help and guidance with your truck), here are 2 Patron Saints of Mechanics that you can pray to for their intercession.

Saint Eligius of Noyon
https://catholicsaints.info/saint-eligius/

Saint Catherine of Alexandria
https://catholicsaints.info/saint-catherine-of-alexandria/

https://catholicsaints.info/patrons-of-mechanics/

My truck is in the transmission shop and I have been praying and asking Saint Catherine and Saint Eligius for their intercession for a decent diagnosis and honest mechanics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OF COURSE ZERO CODES HAVE COME UP WHILE AT THE TRANSMISSION SHOP SO FAR. HE'S GOT HIS SCAN TOOL ON AND AND GOING FOR A RIDE ON THE INTERSTATE. NICE.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Code never came up one time today. He said transmission fluid looks clean and the correct color and has the right amount in it. If the wrench comes back on to bring it back so he can hook his scanner up while it’s on.

Jen

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Jen, hope you are well. Your issue may have been resolved by the fluid change. Some time and driving needed to done in order for the fluid to do it's job. It sounds like the solenoid was sticking and flushing the fluid with new clean and proper fluid may have resolved the issue. There was an issue with the late 90's,early2000's crown vics and grand marquis where the transmission would shudder when the torque converter locked up. Fords first repair was to flush the fluid out and replace with new. The customer was then instructed to drive at least 5000 kms for the repair to be confirmed. I'd say about 90% of the vehicles were repaired with just that. Just as an afterthought,i know to the layperson,a flashing light on the dash can be nerve wracking. Rest assured that the p0741 is not detrimental to the operation of the transmission,and won't cause damage. It's a fluid pressure fed lock up mechanism inside the torque converter that's not locking up. Worst case scenario is you're not getting the best gas mileage that you could. Hope this helps a little and certainly hope that your issue is resolved. Take care.R.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze