Best high mileage oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddie Lanham

Reaction score
So I’ve been using a 10w-30 Pennzoil platinum high mileage oil (the one with the red lettering) for some time now, it’s been good to me. However I’m looking to put a thicker oil. I was thinking a 10w-40, I hear royal purple HPS(high performance) oil is great however my expedition is not a performance vehicle, just thinking maybe HPS oil will give it more lubrication. However they make a high mileage oil that costs 17 and change for One quart which is a bit much. Anyone have any experience with royal purple? I hear it’s good. Also does anyone have any suggestions?

-the reason for the switch in oil is I can hear a little bit of noise now, there’s no internal damage it’s just I’ve ran 10w-30 for a long time and I’m coming up on 205,000 miles driving from Florida to Mississippi. Figured thicker oil would add a bit more protection.

As always, thanks for any suggestions...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These vehicles especially the 2005-2010 have oiling issues, due to a faulty oil pump, and small passages on the cam phasers that advance, and retard timing. If anything Ford recommends a much thinner oil. Your running too heavy an oil now. 5w30 is the heaviest grade you should run, along with a Ford or high quality filter. Amsoil is a top shelf synthetic, its one of the oldest ones around. Been around since early seventies. I run Mobil 1, and have been for going on 40k miles. I change mine way above recommendation to keep clean, around 5-6k intervals. You might want to stick with either the oil you've been using, or switch to a semi synthetic like Fords own. Oil is like tastes in women, some like blondes, me its brunettes, then theirs that crazy guy, that likes feisty red heads. I'd drop down to 5w30 though, don't go up. The ticking is unfortunately something you'll have to keep an ear on, and if it gets worse, then you might have to make a decision.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’ve been using a 10w-30 Pennzoil platinum high mileage oil (the one with the red lettering) for some time now, it’s been good to me. However I’m looking to put a thicker oil. I was thinking a 10w-40, I hear royal purple HPS(high performance) oil is great however my expedition is not a performance vehicle, just thinking maybe HPS oil will give it more lubrication. However they make a high mileage oil that costs 17 and change for One quart which is a bit much. Anyone have any experience with royal purple? I hear it’s good. Also does anyone have any suggestions?

-the reason for the switch in oil is I can hear a little bit of noise now, there’s no internal damage it’s just I’ve ran 10w-30 for a long time and I’m coming up on 205,000 miles driving from Florida to Mississippi. Figured thicker oil would add a bit more protection.

As always, thanks for any suggestions...

205K?? Don't CHANGE ANYTHING!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK