Best lube, IMO for Power running boards is...............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motorcycle chain lube!! I realized this last year right after buying my truck and it's PERFECT for them! Chain lube's come as sprays that are very viscous when first applied and it easily flows into the pin shafts, joints etc. Then, after a few minutes the carrier fluid evaporates and leave the lube behind....it really is the perfect lube for these assemblies! BE SURE TO USE PRIOR TO WASHING YOUR TRUCK!

You def don't want to apply this AFTER getting all the parts wet so do it before you wash your truck!

I've been meaning to post this and kept forgetting!!

Here's an example but there are a hundred different brands...any of them will work....just stay away from "chain wax"...it's a similar but different material. It will work but wax does not lubricate like grease! Most are using WD40 which is a very non-resilient lube but it does work....the chain lube is worlds better though!

jeff

Chain lube.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motorcycle chain lube!! I realized this last year right after buying my truck and it's PERFECT for them! Chain lube's come as sprays that are very viscous when first applied and it easily flows into the pin shafts, joints etc. Then, after a few minutes the carrier fluid evaporates and leave the lube behind....it really is the perfect lube for these assemblies! BE SURE TO USE PRIOR TO WASHING YOUR TRUCK!

You def don't want to apply this AFTER getting all the parts wet so do it before you wash your truck!

I've been meaning to post this and kept forgetting!!

Here's an example but there are a hundred different brands...any of them will work....just stay away from "chain wax"...it's a similar but different material. It will work but wax does not lubricate like grease! Most are using WD40 which is a very non-resilient lube but it does work....the chain lube is worlds better though!

jeff

View attachment 22339
@jeff kushner I have been meaning to look into this but haven't yet. Where are the pivot points or what points do you lubricate on the running boards?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
@jeff kushner I have been meaning to look into this but haven't yet. Where are the pivot points or what points do you lubricate on the running boards?
Open your doors so they deploy and look under. Do every moving part with the stuff Jeff recommended. I sprayed a friend of mines escalade with this same stuff last year after they started sticking. They've been 100% flawless since. But again it's very important you get every moving part and pivot point

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Open your doors so they deploy and look under. Do every moving part with the stuff Jeff recommended. I sprayed a friend of mines escalade with this same stuff last year after they started sticking. They've been 100% flawless since. But again it's very important you get every moving part and pivot point
Is that something that you can easily see from the top side? I know where the pivots fore and aft but I can't fit under the truck to really watch in come down.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Is that something that you can easily see from the top side? I know where the pivots fore and aft but I can't fit under the truck to really watch in come down.
Got a small mirror? Some of the points can't be seen from above. A mirror and a straw on the lube would probably do it for ya

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In!

I tried white lithium grease and it worked for 3-4 months. I am contemplating disassembling and adding the bronze bushings and grease fittings I saw in that running board thread.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In!

I tried white lithium grease and it worked for 3-4 months. I am contemplating disassembling and adding the bronze bushings and grease fittings I saw in that running board thread.
Do you have a link to that running board thread? I might have to look into that.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah me too! I’d like to read that thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971