Best trailer for my hauling capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John19

Reaction score
I have a 2017 2x4 regular wheelbase Expedition without the tow package. It appears to be rated for 6600 lbs towing capacity.

I am looking at trailers and would prefer an enclosed cargo trailer that is 8.5x16 with an 84 inch height and weighing 2800 lbs making my total hauling weight including the trailer 5,000 lbs. This trailer would stick out about a foot on each side of the expedition and about a foot above the roof of the expedition making it less aerodynamic than the trailer below.

My second choice would be a 7x16 trailer with a 75 inch height weighing 2300 lbs making my total hauling weight including the trailer 4,500 lbs.

Both trailers have double axles with brakes and I’ll be driving in the rolling hills of Tennessee.

How easily will the vehicle handle either of these loads? Any concerns?

Could I even tell a difference in pulling 5,000 vs 4,500 lbs?

Any recommendations like sway controller or weight distribution hitch?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check 2017 the tow guide. It has the limitations for frontal area. Aero is as much a limitation as weight. Weight is more of an issue going up and down grades, but aero loads the engine all the time while in motion. Try renting first. You'll want trailer brakes for maximum safety.