Better gas mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69ford99

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to daily the expedition and I drive 400 miles week for work. So far I pulled out the middle seat in 2nd row, removed running boards, and the muffler and tail pipe. Im going to remove the roof rack and the front drive shaft until winter hits. The AC doesn't work, if I bypassed the compressor with a smaller belt would that help any? I run a high milage synthetic blend for oil. Should I change everything to full synthetic? I seen an expedition with the cal-vu mirrors which are smaller and more aerodynamic.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air up the tires and jack up and check each wheel for any resistance like dragging calipers or worn bearings. That’s about the extent I would go. You could also take off at every red light so slow that everyone behind you wants to strangle you. Now they aren’t gonna make the light therefore making them sit through another light burning all their gas. Don’t be that guy.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep the Expy clean and put a coat of wax on it. Air resistance is a huge mileage killer on a big SUV. Keep the motor tuned. If your front hubs are free spinning ( engine running, requires a vacuum...), removing the front driveshaft won't do anything to help mileage. Keep the speed below 70 mph. Keep the tires aired up as suggested. It's a 6000 lb refrigerator rolling down the highway. Pushing it above 70 mph will kill your gas mileage efforts. If you get better than 18 mpg, go play the lottery that day. Why your AC no work ?

Last edited:

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@69ford99 yeah the gas prices are killing me, too.
like Hamfisted said, air the tires to at least 35 psi (I run 40). Also, chill out. I have tried it both ways- if I accelerate gradually I get about 2 mpg better compared to hauling ass just to screech to a halt at the next red light. And cruise control at 65 on the freeway, varying speed alot drops your mpg. These basic things have more effect than anything else, and put less wear on your Exp.
Good idea on the roof rack- 1-2 mpg right there. Don't bother with the AC - the drag is minimal, and you will pull your hair out trying to find the right belt to bypass it.

OP
OP

69ford99

Reaction score
The compressor is bad, I unplugged the compressor clutch.

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
I have tried several things on my '99 5.4 and, while no exactly the saem, they are fairly similar.
The things taht do not work:
Cold air intakes - the Expy comes with a cold air intake and any after market unius do nothing except change the sound, and if you use the one with oiled filter, it will damage you MAF sensor.
Tuners - The will do nothing about fuel economy. If a tuner claims improvemsnts, ask him to give you a witten warranty...I bet not one will do this.
Premium gas - The car is optimized at the factory to run on regular gas and the computer will adjust accordingly. People that claim gains in MPG and power are just wishful thinking to justify the additional cost but, even if it would increase the efficienciy tiny bit, it would not offset the higher cost.
The things that work - keep your engine in good runnimg condition, change oil on schedule, keep your tires inflated to the recommended pressure (too high or too loww pressure will wear out your tires faster,) be sure your brakes operate freely and do not hang, and do not carry any more load thaan required (mine tend sto be a repository of tools).

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Echo the air resistance note which is the major fuel consumer once you the truck moving: Air resistance is exponential and is twice at 70mph than it was at 50.

80 miles a day; 40 each way? 40 mile drive at 70mph is 34 minutes; at 50mph is 48 minutes about 15 minutes more. Try it and see how your fuel use goes. What's 15 minutes anyway just leave home a bit earlier than normal.

-- Chuck

Johnathan M

Reaction score
Letting off the throttle earlier when coming to a stop is a good idea as well. No use wasting gas being on the throttle only to have to brake harder. Saves on fuel and your brakes. I feel that does more to save on fuel than being poky slow on the pull out. I gained about 2 mpg local by not being as hard on the throttle pulling out, by letting off the throttle earlier when needing to stop, and not getting on it as hard when going up a hill or needing to speed up.

Also on a recent trip to FL from PA I did some testing and found out that 65 mph was optimal for fuel mileage on the highway. Going up to 70 cost me 1 mpg, and going up to 75 cost another mpg. I drive a 2013 EL and it was loaded with 5 people, luggage, and 4 bikes on the back (vacation trip).

Johnathan M

Reaction score
You could also do what I did and buy a 2002 Beetle, diesel engine, manual transmission. Gets 3 times better mpg than my Expy. I run that when I don’t need the Expy. Every 500 miles I save $95.00 in fuel even considering that diesel costs more than gas. I paid $1,900.00 for it and the fuel savings will pay for it in about 10,000 miles. Doesn’t cost much for insurance when it’s the 3rd vehicle in a household with 2 drivers.