bigger tires ... what is with the spare wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gzsgzs

Reaction score
maybe, it's a dumb question.

I have a 2013 XLT

If i change my tires to bigger ones, what is with the spare wheel? I guess, there is no space for a bigger spare wheel in its original place.

What solution do you use?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not only do you need to figure out if you can get the new tire / wheel size to fit into the spare tire well under the truck, but (I learned this the hard way) the center hole in the wheel has to be large enough to pass the spare wheel / tire hoist through it. If you use the stock spare wheel (it is 17" or 18") with a larger tire you only need to confirm it will fit in the well.

I have a 2017 with 20" wheels and 275/55/20 tires. I wanted the spare tire / wheel to match the 4 on the vehicle. I bought a 5th matching wheel and tire and when I went to install it in the spare tire well, I found that the cleat on the hoisting mechanism would not pass through the wheel center opening.

Tonka

Reaction score
That’s irritating and also what’s irritating my stock wheels are 18 Inch but the spare is 17 inch