Bilsteins on a Timberline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ak49

Reaction score
I've been considering adding Bilstein 5100s to the front and rear of my 2022 Timberline for a mild 1.5" lift. I know the Timberlines are leveled from the factory, but I don't know how that is achieved. Are the springs mounted higher on the shock bodies? Is the spring taller? Is there a spacer I'm not seeing? I'm wondering if the Bilsteins will result in the same factory leveled height, or if the additional 1.5" of lift will be gained.

I suspect the rear height of the Timberline is the same as the other trims, although I haven't confirmed this. I'm guessing the rear will gain the expected 1.5" in height.

Does anyone have some insight that would help me better predict the results of this modification?

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been trying to figure this out also.

Its no secret the lift pucks in the off road world are a cheap way to lift but generally they are not that good for you vehicle unless they are pretty small. The extra angle on the drive shafts IMO are not main issue but rather the angle of the ball joints. Also a lift puck places the bump stop out of reach and a hard hit off road could compress your spring fully and cause all sorts of Damage.
There are tons of articles on this.

Lots of people do the ready lift and I think for general use it is fine. With that said I cannot imagine Ford doing a puck or strut type lift to raise. If there were wear issues the lawsuits would be high. Would imagine the TImberlines having different A-Arms.
Again just my opinion on this. I hope to figure this out by comparing the A-Arms to a standard expy.

OP
OP
ak49

ak49

Reaction score
I spoke with the guys at Dealer Lifts in NC. They informed me that the factory level on the Timberline was achieved with the shocks and switching them out with Bilsteins would be a waste of money since they would net roughly the same height. It looks like I'll be going the ReadyLift route. Here is some more info regarding that lift:

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/timberline-factory-lift.50727/post-480045

Last edited:

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I spoke with the guys at Dealer Lifts in NC. They informed me that the factory level on the Timberline was achieved with the shock and switch the out with Bilsteins would be a waste of money since they would net roughly the same height. It looks like I'll be going the ReadyLift route. Here is some more info regarding that lift:

In some ways this is good as Ford confirmed (in so many words) that raising the expy via puck or shock does not increase wear on the ball joints or drive line components.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
Watch out on the ready lift. Going to bring your rear axle forward. May want to consider some custom adjustable length control arms to correct that.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Watch out on the ready lift. Going to bring your rear axle forward. May want to consider some custom adjustable length control arms to correct that.
No doubt. Despite having independent rear suspension which technically should not do this, but it does, in 2021 they changed the rear suspension to a new design so maybe 21 and on do not have this issue when using a puck.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
It's a theme of multi-link. Lifting via strut or puck essentially 'shortens' the control arms. My jeep TJ is multilink front/rear (solid axle) and the short arm lift kit I installed replaces all control arms with longer, adjustable ones to make up for taller springs.