Bizzare Tire Issue - Fibers Hanging Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was driving and heard a loud noise like I hit something but I am 99% sure I did not.
Pulled over and saw these strange fibers hanging out. Any idea how this could have happened.

Tire going bad, came off bead????

IMG_2832.jpgIMG_2833.jpg

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is WEIRD! In all my time dealing with tires on the street and track, not sure I have ever seen that. I have seen grass get stuck in a tire and look almost exactly like that when hitting a curb just right, but you said fiber? Like Rubber/Fiberglass/Nylon?

I would take it to a tire shop.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe ran over a broom in the roadway. something not hard enough to damage rim, but deform the tire enough to grab a couple bristles.

OP
OP
LazSlate

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I solved this weird happening.
A Javelina

I took some of the fibers out ant they were pointed on one end and square on the other.
They were also gray with white in them and very strong.
After the big noise I pulled over and looked then drove back to the spot, albeit 5 minutes later.
Then I saw 12 Javelina's cross in front of my car a few hundred feet from the location.

So it has to be this. Guess one ran right into the side of my wheel while I was going 30mph. Must have been pretty heavy to allow the hairs to get caught in the rim.

Relived to at least have some plausible answer as riding down the highway on a tire you have no idea where these strands came from is not reassuring.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I solved this weird happening.
A Javelina

I took some of the fibers out ant they were pointed on one end and square on the other.
They were also gray with white in them and very strong.
After the big noise I pulled over and looked then drove back to the spot, albeit 5 minutes later.
Then I saw 12 Javelina's cross in front of my car a few hundred feet from the location.

So it has to be this. Guess one ran right into the side of my wheel while I was going 30mph. Must have been pretty heavy to allow the hairs to get caught in the rim.

Relived to at least have some plausible answer as riding down the highway on a tire you have no idea where these strands came from is not reassuring.
Had to look that one up! Makes perfect since in a VERY weird way!