Black plastic trim restore

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Robert Smith, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Robert Smith

Robert Smith Active Member

OK! That’s it. I’m done looking on YouTube. I’ve tried several products recently that swear they will “restore” the black plastic trim on cars that inevitably fades to grey. Nothing I’ve tried works. Anybody on the forum have something, or know something that ACTUALLY works?

Thanks!

2. RenegadeBad_Dog

RenegadeBad_Dog Full Access Members

Did you try the heat gun/ blow dryer trick? I personally never used it but I have a cousin who said it worked. Also check out the Mothers back to black it is the one product that I have found to last the longest. Or you could always paint the plastic. Hope this can help in some way. Plastic trim is a pain.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Robert Smith

Thanks. I did try Mother’s and it did not work for me. I’m pretty close to painting it. I recently tried a product called 303. It went from light grey to medium grey, but the protective coating that was left seemed impressive. I may paint it then use the 303 again.

RenegadeBad_Dog likes this.
  4. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

I too have tried every one including mothers, with no luck. Prep, sand, and repaint is always best. If money isn't an issue spray through a spray gun with either plastic paint, or regular gloss black with a flattening agent to dull the paint from glossy. Prep is everything so take your time and prep well!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

5. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Elite Member Supporting Member

Plastic is like anything else, it looks new for a while but the UV rays eventually get it just like us. It’s more of an ongoing take care of it thing than a once and done thing. Like putting on sun screen, changing oil, cleaning the house. It’s like my interior plastics, I use ArmorAll on it all every few months and everyone says the interior looks brand new. I just use product to treat the plastics all over the truck every once in a while and it keeps it all in good shape. As far as what to use take your pick.

6. GaryH2

GaryH2 Full Access Members

For exterior trim, I've tried Mother's Back to Black, but so far, the longest lasting stuff I've found has been Turtle Wax trim restorer in the box. Even that i really need to do several times a year to keep the trim from becoming gray.

Interior, I like Meguiers stuff. It doesn't seem to be as shiny or greasy as Armor all in my experience.[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7. Robert Smith

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I will see what happens!!

8. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

Like we always said riding fast motorcycles, keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

9. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

I've used that Turtle Wax stuff posted above. It was used on the rear bumper trim. After driving around for awhile, it collected dust like crazy because it was still "wet". And because it was on the rear bumper, when I was in the rear cargo area, the stuff got on my pants. I threw it away.

Maybe I used too much. I don't know.

Paint it. Ever since my Turtle Wax debacle, I've just been painting stuff. Lots more prep work, but it looks good for years afterwards.

10. Habbibie

Habbibie Legendary Member

What exactly are you using that product for anyways? Your truck is literally all white with some what seems to be plati dipped wheels