Black plastic trim restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK! That’s it. I’m done looking on YouTube. I’ve tried several products recently that swear they will “restore” the black plastic trim on cars that inevitably fades to grey. Nothing I’ve tried works. Anybody on the forum have something, or know something that ACTUALLY works?

Thanks!

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you try the heat gun/ blow dryer trick? I personally never used it but I have a cousin who said it worked. Also check out the Mothers back to black it is the one product that I have found to last the longest. Or you could always paint the plastic. Hope this can help in some way. Plastic trim is a pain.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I did try Mother’s and it did not work for me. I’m pretty close to painting it. I recently tried a product called 303. It went from light grey to medium grey, but the protective coating that was left seemed impressive. I may paint it then use the 303 again.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too have tried every one including mothers, with no luck. Prep, sand, and repaint is always best. If money isn't an issue spray through a spray gun with either plastic paint, or regular gloss black with a flattening agent to dull the paint from glossy. Prep is everything so take your time and prep well!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plastic is like anything else, it looks new for a while but the UV rays eventually get it just like us. It’s more of an ongoing take care of it thing than a once and done thing. Like putting on sun screen, changing oil, cleaning the house. It’s like my interior plastics, I use ArmorAll on it all every few months and everyone says the interior looks brand new. I just use product to treat the plastics all over the truck every once in a while and it keeps it all in good shape. As far as what to use take your pick.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For exterior trim, I've tried Mother's Back to Black, but so far, the longest lasting stuff I've found has been Turtle Wax trim restorer in the box. Even that i really need to do several times a year to keep the trim from becoming gray.

Interior, I like Meguiers stuff. It doesn't seem to be as shiny or greasy as Armor all in my experience.f844cc1a775ecb5d47fc125ce72ef10e.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like we always said riding fast motorcycles, keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used that Turtle Wax stuff posted above. It was used on the rear bumper trim. After driving around for awhile, it collected dust like crazy because it was still "wet". And because it was on the rear bumper, when I was in the rear cargo area, the stuff got on my pants. I threw it away.

Maybe I used too much. I don't know.

Paint it. Ever since my Turtle Wax debacle, I've just been painting stuff. Lots more prep work, but it looks good for years afterwards.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
OK! That’s it. I’m done looking on YouTube. I’ve tried several products recently that swear they will “restore” the black plastic trim on cars that inevitably fades to grey. Nothing I’ve tried works. Anybody on the forum have something, or know something that ACTUALLY works?

Thanks!
What exactly are you using that product for anyways? Your truck is literally all white with some what seems to be plati dipped wheels

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni