Blacked-out Blue Oval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
With the sinister look of the appearance package on my black Expy, I am thinking about replacing the front and rear blue Ford Ovals with black versions. I found some on EBay, but they seemed way overpriced and I don't think I want to do stickers. Anyone know of other options?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
With the sinister look of the appearance package on my black Expy, I am thinking about replacing the front and rear blue Ford Ovals with black versions. I found some on EBay, but they seemed way overpriced and I don't think I want to do stickers. Anyone know of other options?
I've seen people tape off the emblem and cut out around the letters then plasti-dip it

Knox GSL

Reaction score
I did the eBay black -n- chrome on the front and back. A little pricey for what it is but a 10 minute painless process to swap out.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried full black in bedliner for a couple weeks (my original was totally worn down, no blue left on it) but didnt like it and went with a new blue emblem.

Blue costs like 13 bucks ea and black (with white or maybe silver lettering) is 15 or 16 ea on amazon

cibalo

Reaction score
I ordered some custom billet emblems and installed them over the weekend. It was a bit harder than I expected but once I figured out how they were attached it went quick. It would probably be a 30 min job if I did it again.

098708A2-81BA-4B10-9AFC-432C18900DAC.jpeg 72602E6B-8859-4DDD-89D8-526CF3CCE553.jpeg FAE2DBE1-E480-457F-B345-06418E585DF0.jpeg DC3F9F1C-5273-4BAD-A2AD-24FA0C8C5B9C.jpeg

cibalo

Reaction score
Well that's kick ass!

How are the stock emblems attached?
The rear is held on with 3M foam tape. Apply liberal amounts of goo gone or wd40 around the emblem and let soak for 30 min. Park in sunlight or use a hair dryer to heat up emblem. Tape off around the area and then use a small flathead screwdriver or plastic putty knife and start prying up. It should release as you go around. Then just remove the tape still on the door, clean the area and apply the new badge.

On the front you need to remove the plastic radiator cover on top under the hood so you can access behind the emblem. The key here is you will remove the entire chrome bezel that holds the emblem. You can’t just remove the emblem.
When you reach behind on top you will feel two plastic tabs sticking out at a 45* angle. You should feel a little catch on top. Push it down until you hear it click. It should now feel smooth when you run a finger across it. There is a third tab on the bottom. You need to reach under the emblem through the grill to find it. Once all 3 are popped the bezel will come off.
Now you will see two nuts on the back. Remove them. The posts the nuts were on have a notch in them that holds the emblem in place. It is impossible to over come this notch. So grab a pair of pliers and twist the post. It will snap off at the notch and the emblem will pop off.
Then clean the face and apply the new emblem.

I did a bunch of prying with screw drivers and removing other nuts behind the emblem before I figured this out. This caused a few little nicks in the chrome bezel but nothing I can do about it.

Last edited: