Blend Door Actuator Replaced, Still Hear Clicks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khan1013

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just replaced the blend door actuator, the one behind the radio, in my 2010 Expedition Limited. After two days of no clicking sound I hear it again. This was replaced with a Motorcraft part. Do I need to recalibrate? How? Do I need to remove a fuse? Which one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You know there are two actuators there, right? One controls heat/defrost position and the other controls heat/cool blending?

OP
OP
K

Khan1013

Reaction score
You know there are two actuators there, right? One controls heat/defrost position and the other controls heat/cool blending?
I did not know that. I replaced the one on the right closest to the glove compartment. The back screw was a pain to get out. I didn’t see another. Where is that one located?

OP
OP
K

Khan1013

Reaction score
Before I replaced it I did feel the clicking. Obviously I’m no mechanic. Just trying to save money. Thank you both for responding.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's the lower actuator, down by the floor board it's a very annoying job. You have to remove the center console, air ducting, and make cuts. The appropriate way to do this at a dealer is to remove the entire dashboard. There are alternative ways that are easier.

Old Guy

Reaction score
Ah, Confucius say: if it's hard to get to; required expensive tool; you do not have the spare part, it will go bad...
I was looking at a boat with had everything for options. I enquired at the website for owners. One guy said: Get ready to remove 3 or 4 things to at at whatever needs repairing. The rest is easy.
I have replace the rear doors. When the one in the back failed, a mechanic friend said to change both. I did an d it works fine. I also cleaned the area where they went. There was a buildup of dust, etc there.
My problem was the actuator assembly had the small plastic gear inside physically split in 2. Changed $80 assemblies for a 10 cent plastic gear...

iamthedavem

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just replaced the blend door actuator, the one behind the radio, in my 2010 Expedition Limited. After two days of no clicking sound I hear it again. This was replaced with a Motorcraft part. Do I need to recalibrate? How? Do I need to remove a fuse? Which one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I replaced a few rear blend doors on my 2015 Explorer and one on my 2016 Expedition due to the clicking noise. I don't remember where I read it, but I read that this problem can happen prematurely if one adjusts the temperature to one extreme or the other. Basically, there is no limit switch mechanism that tells the blend door to stop trying to open or close more once the travel limit is reached. Adjust the temperature to a setting that is warm or cold enough to suit you, but there is really no benefit in adjusting it to the max deflection because the door will be constantly trying to open or close more than is possible resulting in damage to the gear in the blend door mechanism. My blend doors have still not failed again since I made it a point to quit adjusting the temperature to the maximum about 2 years ago.