Blinking check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the third time this has happened. I stomped it when passing another vehicle (about 80 mph). The check engine light started blinking and lasted about 15 seconds. This has happened a couple times before but I didn't do anything about it. I am going to check to see if there are any codes showing. Any thoughts on this?

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the check engine light blinks - that's bad. Means you have a critical issue with the motor. My guess is it could be a spark plug pack going bad (they are on top of each spark plug) a knock sensor going bad, etc. The codes should tell you which cylinder is having the issue. Once you have one pack going bad, I'd replace them all - or at least carry one or two spares with you.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Blinking light is a miss. When were the plugs last changed? That's where you'd start with a miss under load.

If the plugs are fairly new, I'd look for a bad coil and replace it with an OEM one.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happened to me while towing with around 95,000 miles on the odometer. Misfire on two cylinders when accelerating to pass. I changed the plugs and haven't seen it again since.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Past due. I change mine every 30k miles.

Just because you do doesn't mean it's recommended. The Ford guidance is replace spark plugs every 105K miles. Having 95K on the unit is close so if having issues, could make sense.