Blinking check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vincentrose

Reaction score
I just bought mine a few months ago, it had 132,000 miles, and when I punched it, it did it to me too. Engine is misfiring, goto Autozone or Advance Auto to confirm, they will usually read your codes for free if you ask them nicely. I replaced all spark plugs. it definitely needed them, the gap was at least 1/8 inch on all them, went back to Autozone to have codes cleared, problem never happened again.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a mis-fire on mine at 128,000, found one of the coil boots was letting moisture in. Cleaned all of them and applied some die-electric grease to the boots, been good for two years now.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford says to never change your trans fluid too.

@07navi you're a big jerk! LOL - I'm kidding. But, funny how this thread took place and this past weekend my check engine light went flashing, motor acted like a plug coil went bad, then recovered. Did this while trying to pass someone on the interstate. Got home, found a DTC for misfire Cyl 8. Didn't happen again - tried to make it happen. SO - here's the rest of the story.

Due to our fun conversation here, I started googling things and came across the video you linked, or referred to, by Maculoco. Very telling. Decided to take the truck to the dealership (my local corner place let me down, so decided to go there instead). Decided to have just about all my fluids changed - transmission, differentials, transfer case, radiator, brakes. Oil wasn't time and completely forgot about power steering fluid. What else did I do? Told them to replace all the plugs. When I looked at the job, decided it was more than I wanted to tackle. Especially with the two next to the firewall. All in all - $1,570 worth of work. Hence, calling you a big jerk. That's a lot of money. BUT - really happy I did it, so thank you for making me think. Turns out, (drum roll) the issue I had with the check engine light was.........the plug at Cyl 8 was cracked. Didn't need a new coil over. GO FIGURE. We're here arguing about it and BAM - this happens to me. LOL - well, there you go. Hope others learn from this as well.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maculoco shared something about Ford's high mileage service recommendations are a ploy to sell vehicles...And by the time failures materialize the factory warranty has expired...Makes sense to me and I tend to keep my vehicles a long time...I change my full synthetic oil and filter at 5K and just did all other fluids, lubes and spark plugs at 50K...If you drive it, take care it!...

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maculoco shared something about Ford's high mileage service recommendations are a ploy to sell vehicles...And by the time failures materialize the factory warranty has expired...Makes sense to me and I tend to keep my vehicles a long time...I change my full synthetic oil and filter at 5K and just did all other fluids, lubes and spark plugs at 50K...If you drive it, take care it!...
I doubt that but I complained that he answers very few questions and leaves everyone hanging and he said "I don't time for that, I don't even have time for my family". He's all about the money and, as a former mechanic, there is a lot he does the hard way and he does kiss up to various parts people.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What exactly do you doubt?...That a manufacturer would tell customers that they have a virtually maintenance free product as a selling point? Or that a heavy duty radiator is a special option, when by real world examples it clearly is not?...If so, I have some ocean front property property in Death Valley for sale really cheap!...

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Purely anecdotal, but I had my oil tested twice with a 9K interval and all wear numbers were normal, and the additive pack was still good. I think it really depends on your use case. Mine is mixed city and highway. Having said that, I'll probably get my tranny and diff oil tested as well, since I'm around 112K now on what I believe are the original fluids (I purchased used).