!@#$! - Blower Motor Will Not Stop!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am the owner of a 2006 Expedition..

My Ford vehicle decided to set the blower motor on HIGH no matter what.

If I put my climate control to OFF, the blower motor keeps going.

The fan control no longer works.

The only way I can stop the fan is if I turn the vehicle off, then press OFF then restart the vehicle.

If I dare put the climate control thing back to life -> blower motor goes full blast and cannot be stopped unless I turn off the vehicle.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Stuck relay?

Thanks!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First question, do you have manual or electronic climate control? That will answer the question of if you have a blower resistor, or a blower speed control.

I'm going to guess, though, since you said that you "pressed OFF", that you have the electronic climate control? With that in mind, do this:

-Turn the key OFF.
-Disconnect the blower motor speed control. It should look like this when looking up in the passenger side leg area.
S3JusenfileA0050505_gifgenref.gif
-Turn the key to ON, then select PANEL. Adjust the speed first to LO, then to HI.

Does the blower turn on?

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
It has the electronic climate control.

I turned off the key, and disconnected the blower speed control, turn turned it back on..

Silence, no fans, nothing! :D

That means I have to change the blower resistor?

Thanks so much!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite. This is where the fun begins :)

Here's what to do:

1. Turn the key in the OFF position.
2. Reconnect the blower motor speed control that you disconnect in the last step.
3. Disconnect the DATC/EATC module, connector C228a (see below).
4. Disconnect the blower motor relay (look in your manual, but I believe it's relay 6 in the fuse box).
5. Connect a fused jumper lead between the blower motor relay socket pin 30 and pin 87.
S3JusenfileA0032587_gifgenref.gif

If the fan turns on, then the speed control module needs to be replace (the one you disconnected in the first post.)

Disconnect the C228a connector first, following the below instructions. Then follow the steps above. You should probably reconnect the negative before performing the above steps.
-----------------------------------------

As far as disconnecting connector C228a, you'll have to remove the front dash to take out the EATC module.

To take off the dash, follow these steps:

1. Put the parking brake on, turn the key to RUN (not start), and move the column shift lever to 1.
2. Disconnect the negative battery.
3. Look in your gauge cluster. In the top, there are 2 screws (7mm or 8mm). Take those out, and pull on the cluster panel. It should pop off.
4. As you manuver it off, disconnect the electrical connectors, namely the ones behind the headlight switch, power pedals, trip computer buttons, 4x4 selector, etc.

Once you have the front dash piece off, the EATC module is held by 4 screws. Take those out. To it there will be 2 long connectors connected to it. One has 22 pins (I think), the other 26. C228a is the one with 26 pins.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Alright!

that sounds more like a weekend thing..

I will get to it as soon as it's warm outside or Saturday!

Thanks! Will let you know asap!

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Alright, I've connected the two pins in step 5.

And the blower motor starts!

So I guess I need a new speed control module.

Thank you so much for all the help!

Will keep you updated!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch, didn't know that part was that expensive. At least you saved the diagnostic fee :D