Blower speed control-only blowing at one speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwy27

Reaction score
I did a search and while I know this is a common issue, I could not find the specific issue I am having.
The AC blower motor was coming on/off and pushing on the wire bundle would get it to start working again. I reviewed online and replaced the blower motor relay switch. I could see that one of the pins was melted. I looked at the wire bundle and it appeared normal, so I did not replace at that time. It worked for about six months, then started having the same issue. This time, I decided to replace the wire harness. When I attached it, the blower fan stays on, but I can not adjust the speed nor turn it off. The AC and the heat seem to both work. I then decided to replace the AC blower motor switch again, and that made no difference. It is still blowing at mod-high speed and won't shut off (hitting the off button actually increases fan speed).

I used butt crimp connectors, and question if the smaller low voltage wire might have too much resistance through that connector. I doubled the copper wire over so that it crimped tight, but voltage still will have to pass through the metal connector. Not sure if that would cause the issue I am seeing.

Appreciate any input anyone might have on this.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my wife‘s 2013. Her Expy has the auto climate controls. I ordered an aftermarket part from Amazon and installed it but had problem. I replaced the resistor with a genuine ford part and corrected the problem. i read somewhere that the controller doesn’t like the aftermarket parts for some reason.

OP
OP
D

dwy27

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my wife‘s 2013. Her Expy has the auto climate controls. I ordered an aftermarket part from Amazon and installed it but had problem. I replaced the resistor with a genuine ford part and corrected the problem. i read somewhere that the controller doesn’t like the aftermarket parts for some reason.
Thank you. Both controllers were Motorcraft. I had heard the same thing with the aftermarket parts. The wiring harness was Duralast, but seemed that is pretty simple and shouldn't be an issue. I did test the resistance through each wire and it was basically 0 ohms.

Darkhorse16

Reaction score
I’m having the exact same issue on my ‘15. It has automatic, dual zone climate control. Haven’t changed anything yet but I’ve checked the relay switch and harness so far, no melting or damage on the connector or any of the pins, and nothing changes when i wiggle the harness.

There was an old thread that detailed how to troubleshoot it that I can no longer find. Perhaps just not using the same search parameters that I used before to find it.

If you, or anyone else figures out what the repair is please share! I’ll do the same if I happen to get it.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you. Both controllers were Motorcraft. I had heard the same thing with the aftermarket parts. The wiring harness was Duralast, but seemed that is pretty simple and shouldn't be an issue. I did test the resistance through each wire and it was basically 0 ohms.

Ford issued a TSB regarding this matter, with instructions to replace a specific HVAC wiring connector: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163573-0001.pdf

Is this the connector you replaced?

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just making sure we are talking about the same thing, relay or switch. This is the part I replaced on my '13 expy.

1650991619239.png

OP
OP
D

dwy27

Reaction score
Ford issued a TSB regarding this matter, with instructions to replace a specific HVAC wiring connector: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163573-0001.pdf

Is this the connector you replaced?
Yes, It was made by duralast, and I got it from Autozone, but that is the part.

I also replaced YH1829. That was the same one I purchased originally on Amazon. The one I replaced this 2nd time was YH2060 Motorcraft from OReiley's but it says that it is a compatible part in a few places I have looked. However the old YH1829 and new YH2060 made no difference in the speed control issue.

When I replaced the YH1829 last fall, it did work for a while. A few months I believe until at least my wife, who drives this vehicle, told me it had stopped working again.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most parts are available thru Rock Auto and there usually have multiple choices with good prices. Does make a difference if you need asap but generally cost effective if shipping is reasonable.

OP
OP
D

dwy27

Reaction score
I had problems with my 2013 a few times. Changed the YH-2060 a few times. Then read to change the blower motor resistor CONNECTOR pigtail and that solved my problem for good. It gets hot and loosens the pins over time. Trust me it will fix it.
I did replace the pigtail connector assuming that as moving it caused it to go on and off it was a loose pin within that. That is where I now just have it running all the time at one speed.

It seems from the comments that those are really the two issues people know about. I think I will remove the smaller wire as that is the one where the resistance through the connector could be significant enough to cause and issue and then splice that directly instead of using the connector and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you.