Blown hoses, saved the transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A week ago I was driving home (almost there) when two of the four hoses from the my transmission to the transmission oil cooler exploded...

Pulled over, got a tow home (everything was closed)....checked it out the next morning, and yep - they're still blown apart and dripping transmission fluid all over, so I got an oil pan under it.

Towed to a shop on Monday, and $720 later, four new hoses and 10 quarts (capacity is 13) of transmission fluid later, it's back to near normal.... It might just be me, but the shifts don't seem quite the same. Not quite as peppy...

Comments?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blown cooler lines on a 2015 ain't real confidence inspiring .... I wonder if they blew the lines out or found any blockage. How many miles on the fluid since it's last change ?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have replaced the present cooler with a better one (6.0 diesel) along with the hoses. Sounds like it was clogged.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the shop flushed the transmission at least a little bit to make sure nothing was clogged? I have seen a clogged filter cause a blown transmission line. Rare but possible. Did they use the right fluid and filter? Maybe a long shot, but it would cause exactly what you are describing, and most non-dealership shops use cheap fluids (not that I am a dealership fan). Also Ford Tech Makuloco on Youtube has several videos about your transmission and harsh shifting, so check those out. Of course, if the trans ran dry for several minutes, it could be something more serious, although in that case the shop likely would have seen signs of that in the pan, so you could ask them.