Bouncy CCD Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hellohithere

Reaction score
Our 2018 Expedition with CCD is a dream on the highway but seems to be very bouncy on local bumpy roads. It is almost as if the springs are too strong for the damper, causing the suspension to do several cycles before settling. Some regular road bumps feel as if we are being launched off of our seats and take a few up and down cycles to settle. In sport mode, the Expedition's CCD suspension handles the same bumps better but the transmission changes are too aggressive. For reference, these same road bumps in our 4Runner and Cayenne are absorbed without any issues and are hardly noticeable.

I have 3,000 miles on the Expedition. Could this bouncy issue be because the springs need to settle? Tire pressures are at 37 cold. Would higher or lower tire pressures help with the trampoline effect? Does anyone have similar thoughts on the CCD suspension?

Xmantec

Reaction score
I have the same issue, pressure is at 39 psi with cold tires. Thought the CCD suspension was going to be way better than my '07 Eddie Bauer Expedition, but some bumps specially in the rear suspension make you jump from your seat, even if the bump seems like no problem at all.

I wanted to try lowering the pressure but you have a lower pressure and still have the same problem. Ford should have the option to personalize a driving mode so you can put, engine, suspension, and steering as you like. Mercedes and BMW have that option.

OP
OP
hellohithere

hellohithere

Reaction score
I have the same issue, pressure is at 39 psi with cold tires. Thought the CCD suspension was going to be way better than my '07 Eddie Bauer Expedition, but some bumps specially in the rear suspension make you jump from your seat, even if the bump seems like no problem at all.

I wanted to try lowering the pressure but you have a lower pressure and still have the same problem. Ford should have the option to personalize a driving mode so you can put, engine, suspension, and steering as you like. Mercedes and BMW have that option.

Glad to see I’m not the only one. How many miles do you have on your Expedition?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not experienced any bumpiness but I may be misunderstanding your description of your experience. I keep my tires at the recommended psi fwiw and I have 17500 miles on the clock.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. If the conditions are right on the back roads, it bounces a lot more than necessary! Sport helps, but it holds the trans in 8th gear then and kills my mpg.
Mine doesn't seem to do it much on the highway, but rather on the backroads that are a little more beat up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni