Brake Caliper Leak and Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeS3000

Reaction score
I own a 2018 Limited. It has had very minor problems. I'm at 55k miles now. I took the vehicle to the dealership for an oil change and new tires. I asked them to check the brakes as everything is original. They said the rears had 4mm left and front 8mm. They recommended I do the rear pads and rotors either this time or next oil change. I chose this time. I get a call today that they can't finish my rear brakes because both calipers are leaking brake fluid and the calipers need replaced for $600 additional. Did I get taken? They said they could only find this issue once the brakes were off. Also, is that typical for the rear brakes to wear that much faster than the front brakes?

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s really strange that it needs calipers. Before you went in for brakes did you have a sinking brake pedal or any problems with the brakes? I was able to pull the service history on my Expedition and it did need rear pads @40k and fronts at 60k. I’ve seen a few cars and trucks like that and more so with drivers that are light on the brakes so I wouldn’t worry about it needing rears first. Only thing I can think of if you had no brake problems and they found the calipers leaking is they had seen this when pushing the pistons back to do the pads buts that’s really weird.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Unusual that the rears would wear faster, though it may be a trait with some models. You should always ask the see the work that's needed before you approve it. Ask the mechanic to show you and to teach you what he's talking about. Gotta start somewhere. None of us are born knowing this stuff. That way you don't second guess an $800 bill and you usually save lots of money. From here, I doubt your rear calipers were leaking - again unlikely - but I didn't see them. It's possible.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For one caliper to leak is unusual, for both to leak is next to impossible. I'd have to see them to believe the mechanic. Have a look. It will be obvious if they are leaking as it is a sealed system. If the caliper piston boots are not dry rooted then I'd check to see if they are torn and ask what tore them. Possible he old schooled it and compressed the pistons with a screwdriver and tore the boots. I've had 30 year old plus cars with original calipers that didn't leak. And by the way, the boots are a couple of bucks and easy to replace, so ask about a rebuild.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, would have never thought the quality would be that low on OEM calipers on that new a truck. These should not be leaking. I know brake pads are not a warranty item but the calipers should be. These are not normal wear items.

OP
OP
M

MikeS3000

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty pissed off. Obviously I am out of warranty and Ford won't do anything about it. Should be a nice bill today when I pickup the vehicle!

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just checked Amazon out of curiosity and the Dorman replacement seals (caliper rebuild kit for my Expy) is $10 for both wheels. I'm sure they are just going to replace the calipers at a slightly elevated cost. Sad mechanics don't actually repair anything these days. This is like replacing the engine because the valve cover gasket is leaking.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting that this should come up, as I just had my 2018 into the dealer for the same issue. I was checking the pads all the way around before a long trip and the rears were way down compared to the fronts. When I pulled the pads off, I found what looked like a weep around the piston boot on both sides, so off to the dealer it went (still under warranty). What the mechanic found in my case was that the weep/seep/leak was not brake fluid, but what looked like high temp silicone grease that was used during the assembly of the brakes. The fluid was not the same color as brake fluid, and it did not have the same consistency.

I put about 2000 miles on it since then, including 1200 miles of heavy towing, and it doesn't look like there's any change to the "leak". Haven't appeared to lose any brake fluid in reservoir, either. Pedal is firm.

Just food for thought.

OP
OP
M

MikeS3000

Reaction score
So I probably got screwed. The vehicle is done, so no chance just to seals. May have been mis-diagnosed.