Brake controller, Here we go again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s1000pre

Reaction score
Well, my new Expedition Max, built 9/22 is experiencing the trailer brake issue that my 2021 F150 had. After two visits to dealers with the F150, being told everything was ship-shape. Ford came out with a recall on the trailer brake controller about three months later. According to Ford, the recall was corrected in early 2022. After calling three dealers this morning to get it in for service, the response was there is no recall on my vehicle, and the soonest I can get it in is late December. Anyone looking at a new Ford, check the brake controller.

OP
OP
s1000pre

s1000pre

Reaction score
The brakes engage when you squeeze the brake controller. When you step on the brake pedal…nothing!

OP
OP
s1000pre

s1000pre

Reaction score
9 when I squeeze the controller, the plug reads 12.3 volts. When I step on the brake, it reads 2.2 volts.

OP
OP
s1000pre

s1000pre

Reaction score
I’m towing a 6,600lb Airstream, 7,900 loaded. I set my gain to 9.5 and trailer brake effort to “low” low meaning it takes low effort to engage the trailer brakes. “Talk about over complicating it”! From what I was told, the trailer brake doesn’t engage until you reach 20 or 25mph, it also increases brake energy the more you apply the brake. At my settings, it seems to work. My hitch is on a pivot point, not a ball. If the brakes don’t slow the trailer, I will feel and hear a big clunk as the trailer moves forward and bottoms out the pivot point. That has not re-occurred since I have incorporated the new settings. It seams to be working and haven’t had any close calls. I liked the good ole days when all we did was adjust gain. Turn it down just short of the brakes locking up. Hope this helps.