Brake Disc Machining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinc

Reaction score
I have pulsing in the brakes that indicates warped rotors. I planned to take the off and take them to a shop for machining. My Ford factory manual states "Caution: Do not use a bench lathe to machine the brake discs". I have never heard of doing it any other way. What is the problem with bench lathe vs machining of the vehicle?

Thanks,
Kevin

OP
OP
K

kevinc

Reaction score
Thanks, I checked out the link. Interesting aspect about the alignment of the lathe - hadn't thought about that. I see where the vehicle mount lathe matches the operating conditions.

CJ0920

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my front rotors. I seriously thought about getting the rotors turned however its pretty hard to find a shop to do it, especially if you bring them in. Lot of places want to do the entire brake job.

Years ago, it was popular to have your rotors turned due to the prices of new rotors. Now with the prices of rotors, its better to just replace them than to get them cut IMHO. Reason I say that, depending on how warped they are, could mean they would need to be cut down and eventually be below the recommended rating.

That said, I ordered brand new rotors for the front last month for $82 each.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I'd just get new rotors. Just get them from advance and use their online coupons. If you play around with the amounts, it can come out to 40% off ha.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, I like to replace if possible. I have found on previous vehicles that once the rotor warps, it is far more prone to further warpage even after machining. I bought some rotors for my Expy in December. List price at Advance Auto was $75, but they had a great New Year's special, so I saved about $30 off of that for the pair.

Link - Advance Auto

Current special is 15% off if you order on-line (can do in-store pick-up). Promo code JA28.

RockyF150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always replace. I've never looked but might even be able to find some slotted / cross drilled ones

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just look through here and find the coupon that fits your purchase. Link

You'll usually save most doing their X amount off a certain total. I usually try to go for the 20 off 50 or 40 off 100 as that equates to 40%. Of course, that's assuming your total is close to that amount.

In the case of the rotor linked, it might be better to do two seperate orders and use the 30 off 75 (might need to get a filler item to get it to75).

jawdoc

Reaction score
Im almost finishes replacing the front rotors and pads on my 08 Expedition EL.

Does anyone know how to put the stupid retainer clip back on? Is there a special tool needed?