Brake fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richie0320

Reaction score
Found out the other day while driving down the driveway I had no brake pressure. Went under the hood and found where it was leaking, at the controller module where what looks like 4 lines going in. It appears to be the driver side line that runs from the reservoir to the controller. Has anyone had this problem before and have a fix for it? I guess I'm going to start off just replacing those 2 fittings and line. Thanks!

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 2000. Took it to ford and the said that it needs a new HCU for $2,000. Luckily mine isn’t a bad leak and is still drive able. Just top it off every oil change. If it’s the line going into it then you could always try and tighten it. You could also get a used one for less then $100. Just be careful installing it because some of the lines can be seized up and then you’ll need to replace the entire line. Hope this helps.

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
Brake lines on the older Expys tend to rust. I had a similar leak and ended up replacing the line from the box to both rear tires. Lines were pretty rusted and I am lucky they did not collapse while on the highway. My front lines are not nearly as bad but I will replace them in the near future.
Luckily, there was a DIY shop not to far away where you could rent a bay with a lift by the hour and the rental included access to tools a mechanic and on line repair guides. Not too bad of a job. You can buy the lines pre-bent and you just attach them together (expensive) or you can build your own using brake tubing you can get at any add auto parts store; they are pretty easy to bend or you can get the bending tool for a few dollars. Be sure you have all the components, couplers and adapters you will on hand so you don't have to run to the parts store; NAPA seemed to have the he best variety. Having a lift is not a must but it sure makes the job easier.