Brake Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum, good to be here.

I have a 2010 expedition with just shy of 169K on the odometer. Over the last year and a half, i've noticed a braking issue that I'm almost certain has gotten exponentially worse.

It starts immediately after startup. Even after allowing time for the engine to warm up and the brake booster to get through a power cycle (if it does that), the first time i press the brakes, the power assist is non existent, and i VERY slowly get to a stop. Thankfully, i know this is coming, and I get this out of the way before i get near other vehicles. But i've almost very slowly gone into a wall when parking.

Once I'm on the road, i've noticed dramatically reduced stopping power, even at full send on the brake pedal. It lacks the power to trigger the abs, unless the pavement has reduced friction (rain/snow).

About 1k miles ago, i replaced pads and rotors all the way around, and while it got a LITTLE better, its still not performing like it should. It's not inspiring confidence to tow my water toys.

All this said, I'm planning to do a brake fluid flush this week, as i found out while going through my records that it hasn't been done, EVER. I'm hoping its just bad fluid and I can be on my way.

Have any of you experienced this? Any ideas as to what it can be?

Thanks, everyone!

-J

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reading the first post I was thinking brake booster before getting to the replies. I'd start there.

OP
OP
Y

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, That was my next thought as well. I'm hoping that's all it is. I'll keep everyone updated.

OP
OP
Y

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
UPDATE: Still no luck. Mech checked booster, said it was good. Pads and Rotors are new. Problem persists. Its super inconsistent as well, but its always mushy. The pedal feel, I mean.

What are the lines made of? Are they rubber, as opposed to stainless steel braided? I had rubber lines on my moto, and over time, when they'd get hot, they'd expand and cause a similar feel. Just a thought.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
These trucks have a known problem with front-wheel brake hoses. They contribute to a mushy pedal feel, though the nature of the system is a somewhat soft pedal. Bad hoses wouldn't cause you to completely lose power braking though. I would replace those hoses as a matter of good practice, but I don't suspect they are the only cause of your problem.

OP
OP
Y

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
These trucks have a known problem with front-wheel brake hoses. They contribute to a mushy pedal feel, though the nature of the system is a somewhat soft pedal. Bad hoses wouldn't cause you to completely lose power braking though. I would replace those hoses as a matter of good practice, but I don't suspect they are the only cause of your problem.

I haven't lost power completely. The truck still stops, just not well. The pedal has a really inconsistent "bottom out", and it is unable to lock the wheels to engage the ABS system, unless the pavement is wet. Other than the booster, what else contributes to the power assist that may have gone bad?

Thanks,