Brake light switch fuse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My problem started a about a year ago. The problem was my brake lights would sometimes not work. So I replaced the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Fast forward to about a week ago. I started to notice that the brake lights would only come on with the slightest brake pedal pressure. So my natural thought was the brake light switch was going bad already. So I replaced it again. It worked twice. Now I have no brake lights whatsoever. Even when I jump the two wires of the brake light switch together I get no brake lights. So I somehow (totally clueless how) probably blew a fuse. I have no owner's manual so I have no idea what fuses to check. Also, I read there is a brake light relay that might be going bad. Any help would be appreciated.
1997 Expedition 4X4 5.4L XLT

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like slot #1 in the fuse box is the brake/turn signal fuse. Do your rear turn signals work ?
I attached the PDF of the owners manual. Fuses are discussed under Roadside Emergencies section.

Attachments

• Expedition1997Owners Manual.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
OP
OP
K

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. The PDF helped me locate fuse #1.
#1 fuse is good which is strange to me as the turn signals do not work either. Hazards do work though.
I'm stumped. Any other advice?

OP
OP
K

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I have no voltage going to the #1 fuse so whatever happened, it's happened before that fuse. Relay?

OP
OP
K

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I'm still lost. No voltage to fuse #13 either. Haynes manual I have is no help.