Brake Lights not working...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael12344321

Reaction score
I'm not very proficient with cars...so I apologize for the terminology. Recently my 2005 Expidition's brake lights stopped working, both back lights and turn signals. The bulbs work when I turn the lights, but not when I depress the brake pedal. The top runner break light works though.

I checked the fuse box, from what I read it seemed the hazard lights run on the same fuse as the brake lights. My hazards work fine...well at least in the front they do.

I replaced the brake switch attached to the brake pedal, still the same problem persists.

I'm not sure where to go from here...any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Always check the bulbs first and make sure the filament isn't broken. After that start the electrical troubleshooting. For that you will need a meter and/or test light.

Pappy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 02, the brake light and rear turn signal and rear hazard use the same bulb, but a different filament that the tail lights do, so if the brake bulb is bad, turn signals and hazards are also out. First! Make sure the rear hazard lights are working. If they are, the bulbs are good. I'm betting the rear hazards don't work. Since the rear brake/turn/hazard is all connected, and everything went out at the same time, I'd guess that you have a bad fuse or relay - BUT - I do not have an owners manual or electrical schematics for that year model, so that is just a guess.

Sonora

Reaction score
I'm having same issue with my 03. Except my hatch won't open and 3rd row seats won't go down. Im reading through the electrical diagrams I downloaded. They weren't in repair manual

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are working with a 3+ year-old thread. It is suggested you start a new thread explaining your problem.