Brake pad and rotor replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did a search and really couldn't find an answer as to recommended brand of replacement rotors and pads. Expy is 2014 LTD, we tow a 3500 lbs camping trailer about 5000-6000 miles a year. Very easy on the brakes if used at all on downhill grades as the tow system provides engine braking.

Being an older truck up for replacement in a couple years I don't need top of the line...adequate or close to OEM will be fine. Or maybe just go with Motorcraft, but dealer prices are crazy.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did a search and really couldn't find an answer as to recommended brand of replacement rotors and pads. Expy is 2014 LTD, we tow a 3500 lbs camping trailer about 5000-6000 miles a year. Very easy on the brakes if used at all on downhill grades as the tow system provides engine braking.

Being an older truck up for replacement in a couple years I don't need top of the line...adequate or close to OEM will be fine. Or maybe just go with Motorcraft, but dealer prices are crazy.
No silver bullet with them, I would just use metallic ones for towing that little trailer.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's not one right answer. Just avoid the complete junk. I run AC Delco professional rotors and Akebono Pro-ACT ceramic pads. No issues hauling/towing from 1,500-7,000 lbs on a regular basis. I buy from the cheapest source at the time (Amazon, eBay, RockAuto, Pep Boys, etc.). It always pays to shop around. Sometimes even the traditionally expensive places (e.g. Pep Boys) have a deal going that makes them the cheapest option.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've run Hawk for street and racetrack for many years (and Porterfield for race). I currently have Hawk LTS (ferro-carbon compound) on my 2017 Expedition EL towing a 6300 lb travel trailer about 10x/year. These pads provide incredible braking power when towing, but they have started to squeal very loudly. Hawk recommends re-bedding the pads in these situations, so I will be replacing rotors with a slotted set, hoping for less noise. I would NOT recommend drill rotors for heavy-duty use as you risk catastrophic failure (cracking) if they are frequently heated (heavy towing downhill) and cooled (splash of water).

If adding adding substantial braking power is not a priority for you, I would go with Ceramic pads as they offer a bit more power than stock organics or semi-metallics, but are less dusty and quieter than more aggressive Ferro-carbon pad compounds. Ferro-carbon pads will give you the most power, but they may get noisy and/or dusty. I don't mind the trade-off so much, so I generally go with the option that gives the most braking power (ferro-carbon)... and tolerate the dirty wheels and occassional squealing noise.

https://www.hawkperformance.com/par...79723&model=89186&submodel=312059&note=383196

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like Hawk LTS pads. Rotors- a good quality blank rotor is fine. I run the Hawk Talon rotors. They weren’t significantly more $$ than quality blanks when I was looking. The LTS have great cold bite and really good heat resistance.

And contrary to what some people say, there is a HUGE difference between cheap pads and good pads. Some people just have experience with anything other than “normal” stuff.

I’m not a fan of ceramics myself. My experience has been that when they are cold (think that first brake application coming off the highway- or a panic stop) their performance isn’t good. But once warm, they are good.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like Hawk LTS pads. Rotors- a good quality blank rotor is fine. I run the Hawk Talon rotors. They weren’t significantly more $$ than quality blanks when I was looking. The LTS have great cold bite and really good heat resistance.

And contrary to what some people say, there is a HUGE difference between cheap pads and good pads. Some people just have experience with anything other than “normal” stuff.

I’m not a fan of ceramics myself. My experience has been that when they are cold (think that first brake application coming off the highway- or a panic stop) their performance isn’t good. But once warm, they are good.
But they never have the stopping power of the metallic ones.

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My last truck still had the stock rotors on it at 205k miles when I sold it......never a problem.
Approaching 62,000 and definitely getting shimmy/wobble when gently applying brakes on downhill grades even without trailer attached. I don't mean aggressively or over-using brakes, just to maintain traffic separation. When towing I usually let the TOW/HAUL feature use the engine...stay off the brakes. I'm just thinking I've got signs of warped rotors. You know what a shop will say if I take it in to get mic'd. Wonder what else it could be?

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But they never have the stopping power of the metallic ones.

Do you know anything at all about Hawk pads? Have you ever seen them in person?

I have some on my Mustangs and my Flareside truck...
To say they're much better than stock is a huge understatement. Even with stock rotors they're about a world of difference.

You're comparing stock to aftermarket and then saying the Hawk pads aren't as good as metallic....
Can you stick your foot any further into your mouth? LOL...