Brake Upgrade for 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralix

Reaction score
I'm getting my 03' Stealth 304A once ford decides to build it, been waiting 5 months and still don't have a build date. I am thinking about ditching the useless red calipers and upgrade to performance brakes. I don't tow but I am hoping to improve braking distance and brake fade during aggressive driving.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
R

ralix

Reaction score
Great question! Racing from stop light to stop light, high-speed driving on freeways. Both of which require aggressive braking. I found my current 2020 Platinum brakes to be sufficient, but I would love to upgrade the next one so that have additional stopping power.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm getting my 03' Stealth 304A once ford decides to build it, been waiting 5 months and still don't have a build date. I am thinking about ditching the useless red calipers and upgrade to performance brakes. I don't tow but I am hoping to improve braking distance and brake fade during aggressive driving.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Waiting 20 years for Ford to build your 03' expedition is crazy! congrats

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great question! Racing from stop light to stop light, high-speed driving on freeways. Both of which require aggressive braking. I found my current 2020 Platinum brakes to be sufficient, but I would love to upgrade the next one so that have additional stopping power.
Are you going with larger rotors and calipers? If not you won’t see much real world change.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Hawk LTS pads in all my vehicles that Hawk offers those pads. I’ve paired my 2014 pads with their Talon rotors and it seems to work great. Really good cold bite. Never had any heat fade (my fluid is also in good shape).

I’ve also run EBC Redstuff and Orangestuff pads. Both worked well but had a really short life- I think I got 10,000 miles out of the Orangestuff.

But like I said, I really like the Hawk LTS.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Hawk LTS pads in all my vehicles that Hawk offers those pads. I’ve paired my 2014 pads with their Talon rotors and it seems to work great. Really good cold bite. Never had any heat fade (my fluid is also in good shape).

I’ve also run EBC Redstuff and Orangestuff pads. Both worked well but had a really short life- I think I got 10,000 miles out of the Orangestuff.

But like I said, I really like the Hawk LTS.
I’ve got the Hawk LTS pads and really like them as well. The stopping power is much better. Changing the brake fluid with a real flush also yielded a big improvement in feel.

OP
OP
R

ralix

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts, I was curious about the cost of upgrading rotors and pistons and who manufactures them. I did not have much luck googling this. Do you think F-150 upgraded rotors and pistons would fit seamlessly on an exp?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Powerstop makes a kit that designed for towing applications. I think it's stock size, but drilled and slotted rotors. I've seen good feedback on the kit. Not sure if anyone has larger diameter parts. That seems excessive for a street-driven vehicle. Tires are at least as important as the brakes. If you can lock the brakes, the tires are the limiting factor. You can also upgrade to DOT 5.1 fluid.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Powerstop cross-drilled / slotted rotors and yellow EBC brake pads. The stopping power increased so much that I had to install Bilstein shocks on the front to keep the nose from dropping down when I slammed on the brakes. Best upgrade ever next to the SCT X4 tuner.