Brakes randomly engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverexp

Reaction score
Hey guys, so my wife tells me sometimes when driving the expedition it feels like the brakes are engaging and disengaging randomly (She drove it all around town like that ☹️) She's not great at giving specifics, and, as usual, when I drove it, it drove perfectly fine. The check engine light was on, so I pulled the codes and found one for bank 2 sensor 1 O2S and one for random misfire, and that was it (don't recall the specific codes). I knew about the O2S and the misfire was related to a bad IAC solenoid, so I replaced both and changed the oil while I was at it. Still no issues when I drive it. The ABS light was on when I first scanned the CEL, but I don't have a way to scan ABS. When we first got it, it had the infamous w/s leak and shorted GEM module. We replaced both, but I seem to recall the brakes doing something similar before that, but there were other electrical gremlins, and the floor was wet. This time, only the brakes are acting up, and the floor is dry. Is there anything that can cause that to happen that I'm missing?

BTW this is a 2001 with 5.4 and 2wd.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This time, only the brakes are acting up, and the floor is dry. Is there anything that can cause that to happen that I'm missing?
Have you taken the back rotors off to look at the parking brake?

OP
OP
silverexp

silverexp

Reaction score
Have you taken the back rotors off to look at the parking brake?
No, but the way she describes it, it's as though it's an electronic issue like we had when we first got it. She said one time, when she was accelerating with the drag, whatever it was released and put her back into the seat. Park brakes are all mechanical, I believe.

OP
OP
silverexp

silverexp

Reaction score
If you have a laptop you can use the ForScan app to read ABS codes, and look at many other things unique to your Ford through the OBDII port.

Ford ForScan Free Download Link

I don't have a laptop, but I can download the mobile app if it'll scan ABS also. I have an OBDII Bluetooth adapter that I use with Torque, if it'll work with Forscan.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check that your brakes are torqued down to spec. Good to check anyway although ... engine seems like lost power.

I was looking for a scan program also. You should be able to record the graph while driving. It will show rpm graph for sure. To show individual cylinder would be great but I don't know.

Sounds like a misfire. I have been working on these and nearly fixed it. I was doing a plug and found exposed wire... you can inspect the plugs to coil packs. The tab breaks, carefully.