Brakes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
How about this? Mine works, but won't release. The driver side goes on, like a gorilla brake. The passenger side drags and has to be pounded off. During state inspection, the mechanic has a special bar, to release, stuck brake drum adjusters. I asked how much to fix it? He said "why? it will just start doing it again", "as long as it holds, it passes". The 'drum in hat' is a stupid, flawed design.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I applied the parking brake on my 2000 for the first time in 115,000 miles. It wouldn't release of course. That was my education.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's the cables that are the biggest issue. Lube them every time you do an oil change. I agree, the shoe setup doesn't work well. Old drum brakes worked on early vehicles due to constant movement day in day out, vs once in awhile. Too bad they don't offer a disc activated setup like my Lincoln's had.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
It's the cables that are the biggest issue. Lube them every time you do an oil change. I agree, the shoe setup doesn't work well. Old drum brakes worked on early vehicles due to constant movement day in day out, vs once in awhile. Too bad they don't offer a disc activated setup like my Lincoln's had.

Lube where? The cables seize inside the plastic casing or the shoes rust to the backing plates. You can't 'oil' the shoes.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure you can. It's called anti sieze on backing plate. And pull the rotors off once a year and clean the gunk out. As far as the cables I use the clamp over cable luber that I use on motorcycle cables. Eventually you'll have to replace the 3 cables, especially if you live in a rusty climate.