Broke bolt for coil pack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed the plugs today in my 03 expedition, went well until I got to the last coil pack on the drivers side, was putting it all back together and snap, the damn screw broke. Was not even tight. Anyways my question? What do I do?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did it break off flush? if not, can you use vise grips, or perhaps thread two or three nuts onto the stud so they lock on one another then unthread.

screw extractors too, but its a small bolt as i recall.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did it break off flush? if not, can you use vise grips, or perhaps thread two or three nuts onto the stud so they lock on one another then unthread.

screw extractors too, but its a small bolt as i recall.

PanHandler.

That sum ***** broke clean off flush.... No chance putting anything on it...

I did make it out to lowes and bought me a new Dremel tool, a new 90 degree attachment tool, some small drill bits, and some other accessories for the cordless drill.... One way or another..... It WILL come out!

Now on the flip side the new plugs make a hell of a difference, truck starts easier and a lot smoother..

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Changed the plugs today in my 03 expedition, went well until I got to the last coil pack on the drivers side, was putting it all back together and snap, the damn screw broke. Was not even tight. Anyways my question? What do I do?

:uhoh2: Your screwed!!

Well.. try screw extractor as the others said but not sure how much room you have to work there. Dont know its possible to weld a nut to remaining portion to the screw?? Drill and tap but not easy to drill hard screw in soft aluminum intake. Worse case remove intake and repair/replace.

Or just let it float?!

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i wonder if you can jb weld another bolt to it then try to remove it before you start the 'drilling'?
if it didn't work, you could dremel/grind off the residue & vacuum up.

if you have to drill it out, you'll have to tap the aluminum, then finding a bolt to fit the coil pack might be challenging too.

Like Tom said, if you let if float, perhaps commerical-grade double-backed tape, or velcro, but you'd have to use adhesive to withstand the temps.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok here's an update....

Bought almost two hundred bucks worth of tools... I am in the same spot as I was before I spent that money on tools...

Bought a new wireless Dremel, been wanting one so that expense is ok by me... Bought the 90degree attachment for it.... It is to big to get in there.... Bought a flex hose, and a grab it bit.... Like said before drilling a steel screw that's in aluminum is not easy... Tried a regular drill bit and that did not work either.

So now... I let it float till I

a) have to worry about it
B) motor blows up and I need to take the motor out
C) I remove the intake
D) I go trade it in

Again as said before.... I am SCREWED!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ok here's an update....

Bought almost two hundred bucks worth of tools... I am in the same spot as I was before I spent that money on tools...

Bought a new wireless Dremel, been wanting one so that expense is ok by me... Bought the 90degree attachment for it.... It is to big to get in there.... Bought a flex hose, and a grab it bit.... Like said before drilling a steel screw that's in aluminum is not easy... Tried a regular drill bit and that did not work either.

So now... I let it float till I

a) have to worry about it
B) motor blows up and I need to take the motor out
C) I remove the intake
D) I go trade it in

Again as said before.... I am SCREWED!

I'm sorry. It does suck!!

In similar situations I also have used a dremel before with abrasive cutting wheel on it and cut a slot in the top of the screw. This may cut some of the aluminum but this should not hurt if its restricted to the very top. Then use screw driver to remove. This will only work if it is not seized up in there.

Last edited:

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use the Dremel to cut a slot in it then just use a flathead screwdriver to remove. It shouldn't be that big of a deal if you cut a little into the part surrounding the bolt. I've had good luck doing it like this.

Victor