Brown Wire Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeyss

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd share my experience. I had a 99 Expedition years ago after owning a 98 I missed the '2hi' option. This was back in 2006 mind you, so there was little info back then about this. I went to the transfer case and unplugged the t-case motor all together. My speedometer worked because there is 2 speed sensor readings the computer gets. Anyway, after unplugging the t-case, I had 2WD. BUT, I slid it sideways and it didn't respond nicely, it was then I realized the front diff is still engaged. The 99-02 expedition do NOT have a CAD (center axle disconnect) like the F150's and 97-98 expeditions have. So even though you have the brown wire mod, the front diff is still fully engaged (it is set up this way so that when 4AWD is needed the CAD didn't have to engage and disengage and possibly get stuck).

So long story short, if you want true 2WD, you have to replace the front diff with one from a F150 or 97-98 expedition (with the CAD), you'll also need to add the vacuum actuators on the firewall so that the CAD can lock and unlock (done by vacuum). At this point, you'd need to either have a switch to make the actuators work when you wanted 4WD to work. I believe you can use a t-case, front diff, and GEM from a electronic shift F150 and have it all work.

FINALLY :) There are a handful of 99-02 expeditions that came from the FACTORY with the '2hi' option. I know most of you won't believe me, but it is TRUE. I test drove a 99 eddie bauer and it was 4x4, but it had the '2hi' option. Some of you will say it was a 98 left over, but it had the digital odometer with the new gauges and the new front end. The 4AWD light was where the cruise light is. I know of another guy on the F150online forum that had a 2000 expy and his also had the '2hi' on his dial, and I've seen a few 99-00 navigators with it as well. But ford dealers usually don't have info on those.

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having the front end engaged all the time is really not to big a deal. Lots of the old dodges and k5 blazers had full time front axles.
But if you really want to be able to disengage the front axle you can swap in a f150 unit and instead of going through all the bs with the vacuum system you can buy what's called a 4x4 posi-lock. This is a cable that hooks in where the vacuum actuator was and runs into the cab. Easy to install and operate and practically bulletproof.

Mikeyss

Reaction score
I forgot about the posi-lock cable, and that would work out better than the factory setup. I noticed with the front of the expy locked up, with no power coming from the t-case the front end 'plowed' very badly, to the point it was almost scary to slide it around. My 98 was not like that at all, but the 99 was.

Tha1Mike

Reaction score
You guys sound like mad scientists and shit. It sounds like you heading to a good spot though. MGTSLDR38, Is that a flic of yo expedition. sitting so lo on 22s -304 40? Are yo lowered or is that do to the 22s. It seems like a good look, I would like to know whats been done. I have been 4x4 lifted my whole life and now I want to drop this 99 Expy 4x4 3" and 3" but its hard to find what will work for the 4x4 in configuration. I get to that soon enough. Thanks in advance for any help.

csdangerous

Reaction score
So I did the brown wire mod this week. I LOVE IT ! It's so refreshing to be able to whip this pig sideways with a flick of the wheel. The feel in the wheel on the street is different too. Definitely feels like there's less friction in the system. Now I just need about 400 more horsepower. Heh.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My 2000 XLT was binding in slow speed, left turns(clicking/popping). I pulled fuse 104 and problem stopped. I noticed a slight change, smoother steering and acceleration. I am curious about just swapping the 3 position A4wd for a 4 position 2wdhi, out of a 97-98. I don't think Ford, re-engineered, the system , mid model year. I remember reading about roll overs, with underinflated Firestone tires. Mysteriously the 2wdhi feature was gone in 1999. Ford did not want soccer moms and bad drivers, losing control. That left everyone else stuck with Automatic 4 wheel drive. The 2003 model, returned the 2wdhi feature. The 99,2000,2001,2002 are only models, left without the 2wdhi option.