Burning oil smell entering cabin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Noticed over the past few weeks a smell of burned oil in the cabin, only when stopped (stuck in traffic, idling in car line for school pick up, etc). Last oil change was a couple months ago, 2400miles. Looked around, don’t see any evidence of drips, but not sure where I should focus in particular. Oil level steady from where I changed it, so not a significant leak. 2017 EL Limited.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Z

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
Just emptied my JLT oil catch can, usually do this every 2500 miles, but this time nearly full! Pictured in post above. Never had so much of this white/cream colored crap in it, anyone know what that is?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just emptied my JLT oil catch can, usually do this every 2500 miles, but this time nearly full! Pictured in post above. Never had so much of this white/cream colored crap in it, anyone know what that is?
The white/creamy stuff is mostly water, with some petroleum liquids mixed in. Its an emulsion that will eventually settle out even further. In the winter, you'll get more condensation inside the engine as it cools after shutdown, you'll be 'catching' more of it.

RSeida

Reaction score
Did the smell go away when you emptied the can? I have a burning smell in the cabin under the same conditions you mentioned, but I do not have a catch can (2017 Ford Expedition XLT, stock). I smell it especially when the vehicle is under heavier load, like towing my 7000 lb travel trailer, and then coming to a stop.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its a burning smell it might be leaking on the exhaust and getting burnt up. Thats why you might not see drips. So i would start by looking in that area. Could be the valve covers or maybe the oil lines to the turbos. Another thing to try is to just let it idle in the drive way and see if you can see and white smoke.

RSeida

Reaction score
Solution:

I took it to the dealer. They replaced the vacuum pump, said it was leaking oil onto the exhaust. A few days later, the smell was back. Took it back to the dealer. This time they said it's leaking from the corner of the valve cover. Fortunately, they credited me the cost of the first job so I only had to pay for the valve cover, not the vacuum pump. So the smell of burning oil was wafting up from the engine bay when stopped and would get sucked into the cabin air intake, which is right by the windshield on the passenger side. It seems fixed now.