Buying a 08 Eddie Bauer and need clarity, please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I drive like a grandpa too. I too have owned 2 Lincoln mark 7's. At almost 64, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. I could spend a ton, probably break more than I fix, and still get 10. Actually it's up 1. I drive a real short freeway trip to work, 4 days a week. It's the fuse for the transfer case motor? Right?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll have to look under the hood and see. I originally decided to pull it because on the freeway it would be a little clunky or grabby. Sometimes when at constant speed and the road slightly inclined or just giving a little more gas.
I had already changed fluid I'm both differentials and the transfer case.
The fuse made it smooth with no engagement disengagement feeling.
Then I noticed the little increase in mpg.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Lisle is the one I used. I had a brand new one and it pulled the 2 that broke flawlessly. Has anyone heard of them not working well after a lot of uses? The threads on the extractor look like they might get less sharp and aggressive and let it pull out without pulling plug tip.
I always wondered about this.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If you never changed the plugs in the '08, check the engine build date on the label of the left engine valve cover before you buy the plug tool. The engines dated after 10/9/07 don't have the two piece plugs and they come right out. That's when Ford fixed the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Morning All

Just an update for anyone keeping track...

Tuesday we picked up a 07 Limited, Carbon Clearcoat Metallic (love it, havent seen many this color) 84k miles, black leather inside, moonroof, folding drivers mirror and has HEAT! Our 2000 Expy hasent had heat in years...
Last owner changed the head and tail lights to LED and its sitting on 22 inch American Racing rims (all of which I dont know if I love yet but a solid truck was my main goal) Interior is pretty minty. All in all its appears to be a good truck

Drives like a champ, lot of power, hit the gas and it goes. Hell of a difference from our 2k Expy even feels like its bigger than the 2k

End of the day, this is what we could afford and wanted something with low miles (naturally)

No pics yet cause, its back at the dealer :-(

Picked it up Tuesday night and drove it home. When I hit the brake I noticed it pulls to the right and the brake pedal was stiff. It took a second for the bakes to kick in. Which originally when I test drove it thought it was an alignment issue and it simply needed new brakes which I told them I wanted done. They did do an alignment and now it straight, except when you hit the brake (if that makes sense) and the brakes have a lot of meat left (verified by my mechanic).

Went to my mechanic Wednesday morning and had him check it out. He said driver side front caliper and line need to be replaced. Went right back to dealer and explained my findings. "No problem Matt, have a seat I'll get my guy on it right now" Sat for 2 hours and was told it was finished, test drove and still, pulls to right, not as bad but still...
Dealer mechanic said caliper seized up a bit and made some adjustments to free it up (to me that means sprayed brake cleaner) drive it around and see if it gets better.
Later that day I got a call from the owner of the dealership asking how its going, told him it still the same. Had explained that I had my mechanic check it out and the problem was front left caliper and line need to be replaced.
Got the feeling that the owner didnt believe me or that I was just looking for free repairs. I simply explained that I wanst trying to be a PITA and know its a used vehicle, but just want a properly working truck. He did say to have my mechanic call him Friday (yesterday) and they would discuss it and figure it out.

Went back to my mechanic 8am yesterday and asked to double check that and check out the whole truck... He did and said thats what it is with the brake, otherwise outside of a little rust and some small paint bubbles its good to go.
Drove back to the dealer by 9:30 and left the truck, the owner wasnt in yet. Left my mechanic's number and explained my case once again and offered to take someone for a drive so that I can show them. No one wanted to go (even the guy who sold me the truck).
Eventually had someone drive me to the train so I can get to work...

By 4:30 I get a call saying they replaced the left caliper but the pull was more noticeable and that the right caliper needed to be replaced, not the left.
At this point I was just annoyed and said I just need it repaired... They asked if I wanted the truck back for the weekend cause the mechanic is off till Monday. I declined and said keep it till its repaired. I've drove from Queens to Babylon, Long Island more than I care to.

We do have a warranty (3rd party) which seems ok according to my mechanic which I will use if the dealer cant get this done.

Woooosaaaa... Needed to vent... Sorry for the long read.
We like the truck... Ill love it once this is all over...

I've learned that next time if it isnt from a Ford dealer (or any mfgr dealer) Im not doing it...

The truck does not have bluetooth or back up camera... If anyone can suggest a replacement head unit Id appreciate it. I was on crutchfield for a but but there are so many choices.

Pics once the truck comes back, Im still excited about it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If your only problem is the brake pulling, that's not too bad for a 13-year old truck.

But go over it very well, while the dealer's still on the hook. In these parts, a car owned by a guy who installed 22-inch wheels and LED lights is suspect for a poor maintenance history.

The brake problem is covered by NYS law, since you brought it from a licensed dealer. But he'll do all he can to discourage you from making him fix it. He'll waste your time until you take your truck and fix it yourself at your expense. I'd probably replace both calipers, rotors, pads and hardware with OEM parts and be done with it - a repair I did on my '08.

Your choice is to either do that and foot the bill or play hardball with the dealer and make him fix it. As you've seen the dealer will give you shoddy work and the cheapest parts. The choice is yours. Either way, if you document your efforts, a Small Claims Court summons costs $12. They even serve it for you. You can go to Queens or Suffolk courts and just going through the motions will probably make him send a check for the full repair costs.

The Ford 2007-2008 navigation radio is nearly a plug-and-play swap for yours, though you may have to send it away for programming if the options on the donor truck are different. It has GPS navigation, great sound, but no Blue-tooth or backup camera capability.

There's a slew of cheap aftermarket radio options and Queens has miles of knucklehead installers who will cut and tape installation wires at low, low prices.

Good luck with your truck and hope you enjoy many happy miles.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with Trainmaster, don't let dealer off hook. See, if anybody would read my posts, and believe some of it. You don't change just one caliper. I don't know the science part of it, but if you change just one caliper, or in early days, one wheel cylinder in a front drum brakes set up, they pull almost every time. Again don't know why, maybe a tighter fitting piston/bore or something. From day 1 back in early 70's, I was taught you change in pairs. Now you also see why time and again I recommend an outside of selling lot/dealer full inspection. They may or may not have caught this, but when I did safety inspections, I was taught to look for things like steering wheel pull, brake pull, brake noise/pulsating. Hope it turns out well, without too much issue. Ask the selling dealer what brand of caliper he's using, in case you have to match it if they refuse to do other side. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@1955moose Thanks for the info!
The dealer is actually going to change both front calipers.
Hope this works....