Buying a 3rd gen, what year is best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldnpaw

Reaction score
Just a follow up on my previous post. My 2017 now has 78k miles. I had the spark plugs changed cleaned fuel injectors and had the mechanic put a scope into two cylinders to see the tops of the valves. Spotless. Zero carbon! I have always run 92/93 octane and use full synthetic oil since new. No holes drilled, the engine purrs like a kitten and moves (when I need it to) like a cheetah when I need it to. 3.73 rear end gives me faster off the line quickness vs 3.21 trans. Towing? Smooth, plenty of power, handles the 9000 lbs I put on it a few years ago.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'll be surprised if there any bad years.

I've owned two Gen 3 XLT Expeditions, a 2007 (175,000 miles) and currently a 2017 (35,000 miles). Both years are competent tow vehicles for my 6000 pound travel trailer (the only reason I own a large SUV) so I assume all Gen 3s are. Other than the engine and axles (and some fluff on the dashboard) the vehicles are nearly identical including color. I've essentially been driving the same SUV for 16 years. :) The 3.5 EB engine is superior to the 5.4 V8 in all respects.

Nothing but routine, scheduled maintenance for them both.

My statistically insignificant sample of two (2). :)

-- Chuck